Help me. 2009 Mac book pro keeps saying start up disk full..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by apple fan, Apr 20, 2012.

1. apple fan macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 Mac bookpro and I have 4,000 songs and about 5,000 pics.. Should that fill the start up disk.?? Don't know much.. Thank you

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I get the feeling there are other things on your drive that are filling it more than pictures and music. Have you looked at the bottom of your finder window? I should say how much space your HDD has left on it. If that number is not low it's actually an error. If it is then you're HDD is actually filled and you need to look into getting rid of stuff or moving it to an external HDD.

3. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

If you have an iPad or iPhone check iTunes for old backups and delete them. I had the same issue with my iBook and it turned out it was old backups of my iPhone, my wife's and my iPad. I got about 40Gb back.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Or if you have techtool pro running! Get a program like WhatSize? to see what's eating your HD space.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'll summarize this ^

Download DaisyDisk. It'll easily show you what's eating your space.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As was stated, "some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several." DaisyDisk may find things that other apps can't in some situations, and other apps may find more than DaisyDisk in other situations. I haven't found any of these apps to be the best in every situation.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My point was that you could've given the OP info overload. Daisy Disk will do the job and quickly. It's a favorite among this type of app for a reason.

No offense was intended.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None taken! :)

10. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

Well it was nice to be thanked and have an update on whether we solved the OP's problem wasn't it. Makes it all worthwhile posting doesn't it :rolleyes:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you expect to be thanked or to get feedback on whether proposed solutions resolved a poster's issue, you're going to be disappointed most of the time, as it doesn't happen too often.

12. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

Yeah I realise that. I was just feeling grumpy and unloved yesterday ;) It's a pity that common courtesy is a foreign concept on the Internet though isn't it.

Having been a member here for 8 years it's kind of sad to see how the forums have become since the massive surge in popularity of Apple. Oh well....

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know what you mean. Rather than thanks, you're just as likely to get criticized when offering help. But that's why they pay us the big bucks, right? :D

14. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

Wait.....what? We get paid? Did I miss a meeting? :eek: