Help me answer a Leopard Question......

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr.Noisy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

My sister wants to upgrade her iMac from 10.4 to 10.5, She bought leopard a couple of days ago but she asked me "what files are changed/replaced if I archive and install?", she has cs3 and a few other programs she doesn't want to have to re-install. So what happens if she does the archive and install

I cant help as the MP came with Leopard pre-installed,

can anyone give me a quick answer, we want to get this installed today,

tar :)

2. zaney macrumors regular

If you archive and install it will backup your old system to a different folder, then do a fresh install. You'll have to reinstall photoshop as it doesn't like this.
    I've tried restoring photoshop from a timemachine backup myself before, and it doesn't like that either.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

archive and reinstall will take your users folders/applciations etc and create an image, then change only the library/OS folders... then the image of the users folder is replaced. nothing is changed apart from OS stuff

5. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks DoFoT9 bit the bullet, it's done, as you say, nothing has changed, everything works ok, just had to set up her mail again, but that was a 2 second job, now she is running a completely new OS, ;) and she's happy.

Photoshop's ok zaney no problems, she is running the complete cs3 design suite premium and there are no problems, runs as sweet as a nut.

Thanks guys.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

eheh no worries mate. another successful job from DoFoT9 :) :cool:

7. zaney macrumors regular

Lucky you, I had to reinstall mine. Must have just been a one-off problem then. Glad it worked for you anyway.