Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Can some one post for me a catalog # from say CDW or Mac Wearhouse of an HD that will plug and ply into my Power Mac G5's (2 x 2.5) second drive bay.

Preferably of a good brand with high end performance. 200-250 gig range.

Let's just say I have returned more than one product in my career... and have been stuck with hardware that I 'thought' was compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Price is less the issue - I really am more interested in what brand is quality and the actual model/part # for the said product in said computer.

Thank you in advance.

Irie J

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Blackheart said:
Any 'ol SATA drive will work in that machine. I'm partial to Seagate and Western Digital.

For my file server at work, I'll be sticking in 4+ of the following WD drives. They're rated for server work, and have a 5 year warranty (compared to the standard 3):

Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500SD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144179

Thank you so much - wow talk about a great price!

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Additional Cables?

Blackheart said:
Any 'ol SATA drive will work in that machine. I'm partial to Seagate and Western Digital.

For my file server at work, I'll be sticking in 4+ of the following WD drives. They're rated for server work, and have a 5 year warranty (compared to the standard 3):

Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500SD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144179

Are the power and data cables mentioned in the Apple DIY manual included inside the machine already or is that an accessory I need to purchase along with the drive?

:confused:

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
iriejedi said:
Are the power and data cables mentioned in the Apple DIY manual included inside the machine already or is that an accessory I need to purchase along with the drive?

:confused:

ALL you need to buy is the drive. The mounting screws, power, and data cable are already in the machine in the exact spot the drive will go.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Whatever drive you buy, read the fine print. A new drive should have a 3 or 5 year factory warranty. If it does not state that in writing, take a pass on that vendor.

The cheapest vendors sell used or returned, (reconditioned, recertified) drives, "pulls" and OEM drives that carry a zero to one year warranty. You don't want that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.