Help Me Be Less Dumberer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cakester, May 25, 2010.

1. Cakester macrumors regular

:eek:

I've gotten by on my Mac for nearly two years and apparently, I don't know how to properly manage/install programs.

Let's take Tweetie for instance. I download the application, place it on my dock and use it for the time being. Then one fabulous day I decide.....wow, my downloads folder is ridiculous......delete.....uh oh....where did Tweetie go?

What am I doing wrong? How can I better manage the programs that I do install?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Put them in the Applications folder first and then drag them into the Dock.

You could do a Spotlight search for Tweetie to see where it is now.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just drag the application (not the .dmg file that downloads, but the application itself from the window that will open) to your Applications folder (on Macintosh HD). Then trash the .dmg. Sounds like you were using it from the disk image (that .dmg file I keep mentioning), so when you deleted that file, the application itself was gone as well, because it's contained in that file.

jW

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

A side note:

When uninstalling programs, I use the application called AppCleaner. It snags all the root files that Apps install on your computer, and gets rid of them as well.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not that this is necessary :p ive never ever used one of those uninstalling programs and my mac is fine still. thank god for no registry.

great point though :)

6. Lola M macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. This should keep my MBP clean.:)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Generally most apps besides those that track use like or include app drivers like Mail, Firefox, MS anything, etc. or include add-ons, generally only install a couple 4k files and most times rarely go above 100k total outside the app itself.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Sounds like it's too late, you're beyond saving.... :p

Mac apps are shipped in various methods:

- Application in a zip: your browser will either just download the zip, or extract the app as well. It's a good idea to move this to your app folder (though not essential), and then add it to your dock if you like.

- Application on a disk image (.dmg) : A nicer, Mac-ish way of distributing apps. You download the dmg file, then the OS will open the file and mount a "virtual" disk containing the app and any support files. Very often the background image on the virtual disk will include logos and instructions on how to install the app. It's very common for them to include an alias to the Applications folder, so you just drag the app onto that icon, and boom! Your app is installed. You could also double-click the app on the virtual disk, but don't do that! :p If you un-mount that disk, the app is gone again! As above, add the app to your dock if you like.

- A 3rd party installer: Seems rarer these days. You run the installer they give you, for better or worse!

- A package (.pkg) file: A package, which OSX's built-in installer will open and install. These are probably most common with more complex apps, which may require frameworks to be installed, or scripts to be executed before or after installation, or helper apps to be launched. For most such packages, you'll be prompted for a username & password with administrator rights. Once installed, the apps will be in the right place, you just have to add the app to your dock if you so choose.

9. Cakester thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, Tweetie was in a zip file. I just opened my finder and dragged and dropped to applications folder. Thanks so much.....I was flabbergasted that I didn't know what I was doing. I know how it works, but I guess I just assumed that applications would attach to the Applications folder

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Based on the title alone, this thread should be 35 pages long by now. :D

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it humoured me a lot :D

13. Cakester thread starter macrumors regular

I had to get some attention. :)

I don't think I'm 101 material. I'm just missing a very small piece of what it takes. Now I've got it, thanks to this awesome community!:apple:

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

macs are REALLY easy to use if you want, and REALLY complicated if you want. its up to you how you use it. glad you understand a little better. dont be afraid to ask :)

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Historically, on Macs apps didn't need to be 'installed'. They tended to be simpler, single file apps with no support files or folders, and could just be copied and run from anywhere. Since the move to OSX, they've created a location for them, but it's not mandatory, most apps can run fine from anywhere.

I believe if you move an app after you've added it to the Dock, the Dock will keep track of it; but not if it's deleted. Arguably, OSX should be smart enough to recognise if you're deleting an app that's in the dock, and either keep a copy of it so you can still use it, or give you a warning.

16. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

So it's OK to trash .dmg files?

I think I know that it is, but I like to make sure.
    I have many .dmg and .zip files in my Downloads folder, for Safari, Flip4Mac, AIM, etc.
    It's okay to trash all of these?
    Thanks very much for good advice!
    Morod

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, if you've already used the install packages, you can delete the .dmg files.
    You should be aware that apps like AppCleaner and AppZapper do not remove all traces of apps that you remove. They basically only remove the app itself and any .plist files. For example, they do not remove any of the files/folders that may have been installed in the Library folders.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Once you have installed the app from within a zip, it's ok to trash it. For a dmg, you need to make sure the app has been installed, and you've 'ejected' the virtual disk.

I typically keep these in a separate folder (just for app installers) in case I ever need to reinstall an app and don't have a net connection, but different strokes for different folks.. ;)