Help me become an iPhone developer!

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by appleguy123, Aug 22, 2009.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Hi All,
    Im 16 and I own a Mac, so I want to become an iPhone Developer. I have very little programming experience,except for the very little HTML my Computer Lab teacher (who is about as bright as a 14-Watt lightbulb :) ) taught me. I tried to look at some of these threads here in the programming section and I became immediately overwhelmed by all of this. I have quite a few (seemingly good) ideas for iPhone Apps but have no clue how to make them. I bought the book "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" but I have dyslexia ( I have overcome it mainly but i still have trouble properly comprehending written text) and am having trouble understanding it. So basically what I'm asking is what is a video series for beginners that is free (being 16 I don't have too much disposable income) and informative.

Ps: I know Nikolai Sander (developer of spawn illuminati and a few others) pretty well so he may be able to help me after I get pretty well in to this.
    Thank you all in advance!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You know, expecting people to just lay out what to do is a silly notion. It shows zero will on your part to work. You have a mac and you think you're just going to get a quick buffer and get rich? Knowing someone clearly doesn't help either.

If this sounds harsh then that's just life. Bottom line is you need to start trying to find your best way to learn and really put the effort into it.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

What are your ideas? Lay them out here and then we can tell you how to do it. Please use as much detail as possible.

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Oh i intend to and getting rich isn't really my goal either. I just need a nice video series to get me started. And do you subscribe to my threads or is it a coincidence that you comment on all my threads or are you subscribed to me? thats not an insult I actually like some of the (rather rough) real world insight.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I do hope you are joking :rolleyes:

7. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

You can also subscribe to the Stanford iPhone programming class podcast in iTunes.

8. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

The book you bought is a great start. I don't know much about dyslexia but if you can't understand written texts, you will have a hard time learning to program. HTML is a language that can be learned in an afternoon.

"Real" programming takes time and you never finish to learn. There are so much possibilities that you really need to be able to read books.

As I said earlier , I don't know much about dyslexia but if you reread each chapter 2-3 times, will it be better?

I feel sorry for you, it must suck to have a problem keep you from your goals in life. Good luck and find a way to learn! Take lots of notes and reread them. Make to most simple apps and you will soon be making what you want.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All I'll add is that programming takes awhile to learn, so don't expect to get it in a new months. It's hard work. It's best to be organized, and to learn to make comments in your programming as much as possible. Start with doing easy things, "Hey World" and progress for there. In time, you'll find examples of the way things are done that you can incorporate in your programs.

Anyway, I commend you for wanting to learn something outside what is taught in school.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No I don't subscribe to your threads. I didn't put the two together. For me, it's best I don't pay attention to the posters until they hit my ignore list. ;)

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I was told not to post too much so ill take these in strides...
    You need basic programming in the C language or i would subscribe to them.
    YEs rereading does help me comprehend things (but its not going to be fun taking 3x as long as what it takes everyone else.) How long do you guys think it takes the average person to learn the language enough to make apps?
    Thanks, Do you think it would be too bad to leave this thread up and keep changing the title with things i need help with? (like how to use xcode(im having some trouble with it))

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, if you have dyslexia you need to find some ways to deal with that and still be able to read and interpret. Because a good amount of programming is reading, whether it be written tutorials or books or documentation or even code, including your own. Good luck with that and I hope you find some way to combat it.

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

ALright I tell all of you my trick:
    its hard to explain but i read the words (backwards appearing) then like a processor in my mind makes them into logical sentences. Its weird but thats how i read. and when i read aloud i memorize the processed sentence ahead of the one i am reading.
    Edit: I always go for audiobooks if available

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Unfortunately a lot of the information you will need to internalize is in the written form, especially your code. Interface Builder is more visual but will only get you so far. I hope I'm not discouraging you too much. I really hope you stick to it. Just trying to be somewhat realistic.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I appreciate realism i get that it is just going to take me a little while longer than most people.

16. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

You made a good decision in that you bought a book (and a very good one at that :)) books are the best way to learn next to an actual teacher. Though because of your dyslexia a book might not be the easiest starting point even if the book is a easy one.

If you have better luck learning from videos the author of the book you bought will be doing individual web casts teaching each chapter, it will be a interactive setup where you can ask him questions as he teaches. I believe it's a two part program beginning in September for like $75...

Or he has video lessons aswell on Safari Books Online
    http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780321670113

You should definitely check out his forum, it's very active one and full of helpful information!

http://classroomm.com/objective-c/

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Thanks!

18. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

so do I,

I also have a Traumatic Brain Injury from getting blown up in Iraq, in 2004, I have an advantage, is that prior to getting blown up I had spend 11 years as a software engineer, and all that experience has help.

I have tried many many books trying to learn Cocoa and programming on a Mac, All my programming experience is C in UNIX, LINUX and many different embedded OSes.

I found a book for programming the iPhone, it explain very clearly, and if you read and do all what they say, you will learn, but you might want to try the objective C 2.0 book first.

Here are the books Both from Apress

Learn Objective-C on the Mac

the other book is

Beginning iPhone Development

both these books are carried at Barns and nobles

the key to my success, is finding the correct environment to let me think, so at 10pm every night my kids are asleep and wife is asleep and all is quite, I don't have to stress about anything happening in the house, so I can give 100% to learning and programming. I am developing my first app (there is 3 of us, I write the app, one is a graphic artist, the other a business developer, and does all the information collection and entry for the app). by the end of september I hope to have the app finished and in for review with :apple:.

I remember when I was your age, I learnt the key to doing something, is first to understand the problem, then you can plan the solution.

19. peacetrain67 macrumors member

hi, i just turned 17 and was in a similar boat as you (the OP). i have been developing about a month and a half, and still understand there is a lot to learn. I probably spend 2 hours a day working with XCode or reading up on different things. Starting about 2 weeks ago I have started developing an app and consider myself about 1/2 done. It is possible if you spend the time and energy to learn quick. I did not buy a book because I have found that 99% of information is online, but I am sure I have read a booksworth of information from the internet. Along with not getting ahead of yourself, there are several other important things I have learned to keep in mind (often the hard way). Always, always, always focus on memory management. I started playing with the SDK before I knew anything about allocating, releases, copying, etc. and it bit me in the ass. Thirdly, don't focus to much on the look of your application right away. Your first few basic productions won't be worth while (at least mine weren't) and you shouldn't be worrying about handling the look of your interface when you can be learn how to add functionality. If/when you do start developing an application you have plans to publish, you will still be learning (as I am), and you find a way to add functionarlity you want, don't implement it into your application until you test it in another project and fully understand it (I've dismantled projects by adding simple functionality). Lastly, practice, practice, practice. When you are learning, there is nothing to grasp it like implementing it. When you find sample code you want to use, tweak things around, change aspects, see what does what, etc. Good luck from someone just a tad ahead of you time-wise jumping into this language [this is my first real language that isn't for TI :) hah]..

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the fact that you will get frustrated but stick to it, and something else I have learned is to not be afraid to ask questions. I have asked my fair share and then some of stupid questions (I like to thing most of mine are realisticly challenging questions now but I still have kinks that many developers could solve in seconds). So don't be afraid to ask questions (which it looks like you aren't, i.e. the thread).

20. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Thanks for sacrificing for our country!

Keep us posted!!! If this thread dies by then can you pm me your outcome?

21. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

DO you guys think that this like a real language (like spanish i know it lol) or like a rubric that is always the same for doing things. Is it also like english/spanish/any other language that you are always learning new thing(like new words?). Can you learn it all?

22. Jordan.S macrumors newbie

Just want to say your a true Patriot. I wish you the best of luck.

Regards Jordan

23. peacetrain67 macrumors member

As a matter of fact, I was a friends house last night and he knew I had played around with Xcode and asked me how I did it. I told him it was like learning spanish in that you have to take what you want to say it, and put it in the proper context so the phone will be able to understand it. I don't think you can learn it all, I've even seen a thread or two were dejo didn't know how to do something.. I consider it like a third language (I also speak Spanish as my second - well am in Spanish III so basic Spanish), except that whenever you need it, you have cheat sheats, dictionaries, and people here that will help. No doubt there are obvious differences, but at it's basic level, coding is the same as speaking another language: converting what you want to naturally say into something that can be understood naturally by someone else/the machine. There is a lot more to both, but yes they share basic similarities that I noticed.

24. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lol sounds like you don't even know what programming is???

25. xStep macrumors 68000

Regarding the online Stanford course:
    Watch it once anyway. It will help to grasp what is involved and get you into a good mind set.