Help me build my PC!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by noodle654, Apr 16, 2008.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You could probably save on the case by going with a cheep/free option... (I could find an old beige case probably for free in the trash somewhere, just have to gut it :p)

3. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

I already have that case. I got it from a friend for $20.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd recommend against buying on eBay and getting it from Newegg instead. Yeah, eBay may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Newegg's customer service is awesome. And what if one of the parts is DOA? Good luck with the eBay seller. You'll have no trouble with Newegg.

5. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Go with newegg for sure. Depending on how much you want to spend, get a WD Raptor for a main drive, then a large one for storage. Keep just programs on the Raptor. OR, just raid two drives together for main, and then a third for storage. I use this setup, and it works great. Plus, 74GB (Raptor) is a lot more than you think when it comes to just programs and windows. Also, get XP Pro. Vista is crap for most stuff, which is why microsoft is skipping right to their new OS, and not working on Vista. To put it in perspective, i built my system over three years ago, and it still runs games good, where as heavy users will find that systems go "old" in a year or so. Also, my system was fairly low end when i built it because i was poor.