Help Me Burn Music CD Copy To Play in Windows Machine/CD Player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacConvert2007, Mar 30, 2008.

1. MacConvert2007 macrumors member

Hello,
    I have a 2.16 GHz Macbook (new May 2007) with Tiger 10.4.11.

I'm trying to create an exact copy of a music CD that will play on a Windows Machine or regular CD Player. I've opened Disk Utility and selected File- New- Disk Image from Folder (then selected the CD in my CD drive) and created an image (read only format).

Then I click on the disk image (dmg file) in Disk Utility and click burn, insert the blank disc and it burns. But my resulting CD shows as having no data on a windows machine or only 1 track in a cd player (playing no sound). When I pop the CD back into my Mac, itunes does not recognize it as a music CD and won't play it or ask me to import it.

I also tried making a CD image in (DVD/CD master) format, but that doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

If you're trying to copy a music CD I would use iTunes. Import as aif with no compression (find this setting in File (menu) > Preferences... (select) > Import (tab)

Import the CD, then make a play list and burn.

Additionally I add that I hope this is for CD that you are allowed to distribute.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah your making it way too hard for yourself. use iTunes to import the original CD, drag the songs into a playlist and and then burn that playlist.

if you want to play it in a CD player you will have to burn a CD with aiff files on it. Windows will be able to play aiff in Media Player. to do this select "Audio CD" as the disc format in Burning under Advanced in iTunes' preferences.

4. MacConvert2007 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks NAG and richthomas; using itunes with AIFF worked perfectly as you described.

Does anyone know if Disk Utility can be used to make a music CD (playable in a CD player)? Or is it only used to make data cds. Thanks.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just did a quick Google search and i dont think its possible to copy a music CD in Disk Utility and be able to play it in a CD player. something to do with an audio CD not having a file system and Disk Utility using images.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-17749.html
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6859362

you can always just burn CDs in iTunes which is one of its primary uses or use Toast which has a nice burning interface like Nero.