Help me buy a new imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skeptic1970, Jul 3, 2008.

1. skeptic1970 macrumors newbie

I am looking to replace my aging mac mini g4 1ghz.

It is showing it's age and it's time to upgrade. Right now I am leaning toward an iMac refurb. I have always purchased refurbs and have been very happy with them. I only upgrade my mac eveyr 4-5 years, I want to get the most bang for the buck that will last.

Right now I want the 24" 3.06 with the good video card. But that is way outside my budget. I really do not need the 24" screen. But I want a good video card in it b/c I like to play game or 2 in my sparetime. I would like to be able to run Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 and Spore when they come out. I wish I could get the 20" imac with a good videocard. My system that will almost fit in my budget is imac 20" 2.66ghz with the 256mb Ati 2600 card. How is the game performance on this card?

I do more than games but that is the only thing that really taxes my computer is 3d games. Also high quality video drops frames. I think any new mac will fix the dropped frames issue.

So what would you recommend?

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I think the refurb model you mentioned that fits your budget will do fine for the games you've listed. Another consideration may be to save up for the high end 24" with a better video card. I realize it doesn't fit your budget, but perhaps if you wait a bit longer, save, and find a refurb, you could manage.

I think saving up and waiting will land you an iMac that will last you the 4-5 years you're aiming for. Good luck to you. :)

3. iceblade macrumors member

Now, understand that I obviously don't know the specs of Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 are at this point, but I do know this: Blizzard has seemed to be fairly easy on computer specs in the past. And even if they weren't, a 256 MB card is a half decent card. It isn't the best card these days, but I think it will run Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 fine.

I sure hope it runs Starcraft 2 ok at least, I am hoping to get SC 2 for my macbook (when I get a macbook) when it[SC 2] comes out. If it can't run on your imac, it definitely won't run on my macbook!

4. kjwarren macrumors newbie

I actually have the same question... except I play WoW and I am a photographer/graphic designer. Would the imac 20" 2.66ghz with the 256mb Ati 2600 be enough for me? Or should I go for the pricier one?

I am currently running a MBP Core Duo with RadeonX1600 256mb.

thanks!

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

KJwarren, not sure unfortunately...not really into PC/Mac gaming.

For the OP, I'd say wait a bit and save up for your dream machine. As long as you're spending the money you might as well go all the way! And besides, you're gonna keep this thing for 5 years. An extra few hundred dollars over 5 yrs isn't that much.

6. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

kjwarren, since you're into graphic design, you should get the 24" iMac, because it has the better quality display. Either model of the 24" iMac will be fine. :)

7. rangerdanger macrumors member

Save for the 24" dream machine. That's what I did. I saved for two years, and finally bit the bullet last Saturday and bought the high end 24" iMac. You can read the my review of it on my website here.

http://web.mac.com/rangerdanger/Site/Welcome.html

Personally, I think saving is the best way to go. Right now, I'm saving for a MBA, that I'll hopefully purchase next summer. Back to you though, like I said, save, save, save. See how much you have for your budget, how much more you need, and how much time you have to save it up. Hope this helps!!

8. kjwarren macrumors newbie

I want to mention, too, that I also have a 22" external to go along with it... wouldn't a 24" + 22" be a little overkill?

9. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If your 22" monitor is sufficient for doing graphic design, then the 20" iMac will be fine, yes. :)

10. kjwarren macrumors newbie

I went for the gold:
    iMac 24/3.06/2GB/500GB/SD/512V