Help me buy a printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBH928, Jan 5, 2015.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,

Well as the title says, I am really in the dark on this one. I usually end up having buyers remorse after I buy something without researching.

I just want a printer that is reliable, ink, has 4 color cartridge system, scans and photocopies.

I am keeping an eye on HPs but not sure which one to pick. I didn't have much good luck with Canon and Epson.

If there is any one familiar with the printers market please advice me

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

Help me buy a printer

I've had several brother inkjet all in one printers. My last one lasted 10 years before the print head motor gave up.
    HP printers are good but ink is more expensive than say Epson or Brother.

3. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

As you didn't specify a budget - can we assume that it's unlimited?

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I am looking at around $100-200. I am not trying to find the cheapest, but I do not want to overpay either.

My experience tells me that products today are not built like they used to back then. They have planned obsolescence.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Black and white laser unless you really need to print in color at home. I recommend using the various online services for printing photos (including some that you upload from your home and pick up at a brick and mortar such as Target and Walgreens).

I bought an All-in-One HP Laser 8 years ago and just a few months ago had to change the toner. Outside of the fact that HP has stopped supporting the Scanner, we still use it for printing and copying.

The cost of Ink is more expensive per ounce than Dom Perignon. Does that seem right?

6. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

wow, 8 years on 1 cartridge?

The problem with Black and White that its very limiting. Sometimes you need just to highlight something in color. It helps a lot in stuff like diagrams.

Ink is very expensive and I am not sure why no new company launches a reasonably priced ink cartridges. I bought a printer in 1995 and very surprised to see that printers didn't evolve much compared to all other tech products.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It was rated for something like 3000 pages. We only print stuff once in a blue moon since we try to be as paperless as possible. Which is another reason why inkjets suck. If you don't print regularly, the heads get all gummed up and it is time to buy a new one. So you end up having to print needlessly (with that expensive ink again) just to keep it from being a paperweight. I won't go back....

Even color All-in-one laser printers can be readily had for less than $300 on sale..

Prime example:
    http://www.staples.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF8280Cw-Color-Laser-All-in-One-Printer/product_184571

8. SpicyWings macrumors newbie

I would choose a B&W laser over an all-in-one color printer. I am quite happy with my dirt cheap wifi enabled Samsung ML2165. Print quality and cartridge life is great. Model numbers vary across countries and makers keep launching new models all the time, so check local availability.

Do get a wifi model. Apart from reducing clutter, you can also print to it directly from iPhone, iPad etc. - which is a great convenience.

As for scanning, unless you have to have archival quality, try out scanner apps - most are either free or inexpensive. Get Pic Scanner for photos, TinyScan or CamScanner for documents (Yes, you need different ones for docs and pics!!)

9. illusionx macrumors 6502

Ink can be expensive or cheap. Lexmark and HP tend to be always more expensive as their ink include a new print head. Canon, Epson and Brothers are cheaper because you only get the ink cartridges.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Canon Pixma MG6620 is fantastic! It has all of the cloud printing services, is reliable, fast, and ink is cheap on Amazon. Canon has great customer service too! Our 5320 went off in a catastrophic error and within 10 minutes on the phone they were sending out a brand new in box current model printer! That is some quality service and support.