Help me buy my new setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pancakedrawer, Apr 11, 2011.

1. pancakedrawer macrumors regular

Hi everyone

Here's what I currently own:
    Mid 2007 15" MBP 2.4, 4GB, 500GB
    Mid 2010 13" MBP 2.4, 4GB, 500GB

I bought the 15" MBP as my first mac when I started uni.
    I bought the 13" MBP for $200 as a damaged item that actually worked

I'm looking at selling both/one/none (please advise) to refresh my setup.

I would say that each laptop should fetch around $900-$1000 AU

I am an architecture student and so I need as much power as possible in at least one computer (desktop or laptop doesn't matter) and any laptop should be capable of light 3D modelling at least.

My dream setup would be a maxed iMac and 13" air.

I'm a bit over trying to do heavy work on a laptop setup due to lack of keyboard, small screen, inherent posture problems

My friend has recommended putting all of the money to a new 15" MBP

I want greater portability than the 15" that I've been lugging around for uni. I just got the 13" so not sure if it is much different.

Keep in mind that I would like to keep the budget to $2000 but can go up to $2500 if absolutely necessary.

Please respond in Australian Dollars pricing if possible.

WHAT WOULD JESUS/YOU DO?

2. DemSpursBro, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

Alright, here's a desktop I've thrown together on newegg. You can easily swap parts (more RAM for example), ditch the windows OS and throw a Mac one on there, etc. but these parts should be fine.

I'm Australian too, and I'm pretty sure you can get something like this from PC Case Gear for ~$2,000. If you spend it on a actual Mac desktop, you will be paying extra money for nothing. As I said, if you plan on doing serious work on it and need the mac os, buy these parts minus the windows OS and buy a Mac one to load instead.

If you plan on buying both a desktop and a laptop, let me know and I'll change some things to accommodate.

[​IMG]