Help me buy the right mac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jrm27, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new mac. It has been a long time since I purchased one, so I would love some input for those who are in the know...

The computer will be used for graphic design (most of the adobe creative suite.. CS5) and some light video production (probably done in something like imovie or premier). Also some photo work (RAW conversion). I'd love something that could implement dual displays, but that isn't a dealbreaker.

Portability is not important to me, so I'm not all that interested in a laptop. I'll have access to a Mac Pro, but don't want to count on it.

Recommendations? Thanks!

-jon

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GoDuke1 macrumors member

I would look at another Mac Pro for graphic design.

However, if you want an iMac (assuming you do since you posted in this section) I would recommend the 27" i7 with the 2.93 Quad Core, 16Gb RAM, and 2TB HDD. But for that kind of money, your back in the Mac Pro ballpark IMO.

To save some cash you could skimp on the RAM and upgrade that after the fact a little cheaper than what Apple wants for theirs.

4. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking an iMac just because of my budget constraints. It seems like the iMac is at a pretty good balance of price and features. I jsut dont have the cash to be getting into a Mac Pro at the moment. So, lets stay in the imac family... or anything along that budget scale. I'd say 2k will top me out and I'd rather spend less since I've got tu purchase some adobe stuff as well.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

See if you can't get your hands on a refurbished 27 inch model with quadcore i5.