Help me call my Windows drive to a new drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Orange Furball, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hello everyone I have a Windows computer with a small hard drive and I bought a new hard drive for it. it's running Windows 8 but I need to get the whole install off of that drive and put the boot stuff on the SSD while keeping all the other information on my new 1 TB drive. I don't really know how to do this. everything I've tried this failed and I've been trying this for a few months now so if anyone has any tips or any help that would be greatly appreciated

Sorry for the weird Grammar and everything I'm trying to use dictation on my iPhone to do this so it might suck... Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: I moved this to the Windows sub forum even though it is not on the Mac since many here can help.

Please explain a bit more. The system has a small boot drive which you intend to remove and an SSD which you intend to boot from. Is there also a larger HDD for storage? Is the SSD larger than the old small boot drive? ...

IMO something like Acronis True Image is the right approach, but would really need more details...

B

3. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Thanks I forgot there was a windows sub forum.

The drive right now is a 250gb. The SSD is 64gb and the storage drive is 1tb

The 250 GB hard drive is full right now. The one terabyte hard drive and the 64 GB SSD are both empty at the moment

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Here's the approach I'd take personally.

Buy Acronis TrueImage Home 2013 http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ for $29.99

Clone the old HDD to the storage drive. Set that aside.

Remove any media, large files, etc... from the old HDD until you have less than 64 GB on that.

Clone the lighter HDD to the SSD.

Boot off the SSD.

Install the storage drive, which also includes the stuff necessary to boot from if necessary.

B