Help Me Change WPA Password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IPadNParadise, Jan 22, 2013.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I dont know if this is the right place for this question. I currently have a Centurylink DSL westell 7500 router and an Ipad that I connect to it for wireless internet. I can see that its smarter to change the password on the router that I used when I set up this network connectivity. From postings on other threads that is not safe from hacking, that password came from the router label on back.

Please can someone help me with instructions on how to do this. I am very vey non techy. All i know how to do at this point is how to log on to the router, find wireless, then the security tab. I am just so afraid I will throw this ipad i would be using offline and then would be stuck.

I could call centurylink but I usually get someone dumber than I am.

Oh, and I have ordered an MBP due to arrive Friday, so am trying to get things all set up.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You could wait until the MBP arrives and then if you mess things up you then could connect it with an ethernet cable and change it again.

But, you shouldn't be worried too much, if you change the password now and you can not login again there is always a reset button on the back which resets the device to factory settings, most of the time you have to press it for 5-10 seconds, you'll see it when the lights all go out and on again and it's reset again.

Later on when you get your MBP you can go into Network Settings in System Preferences and click on Airport, then the advanced Tab, under router you see a number, most likely 192.168.1.1, get this number and paste it in the URL bar in Safari (browser), it will then show you the setup screen of the router, but before it connects it will ask you a password, this is almost always Admin for User and admin for password.

3. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Thank you. I can get into the settings of the router by using 10.0.0.1 in the browser of my ipad so I get that far. Cant use the other number. I am just not sure after that what to do and if I wont screw up my Ipad connection.