Help me choice the best username

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by AGX, Jan 13, 2015.

1. AGX macrumors regular

Hi people!

I'm evaulating to open a new AppleID and migrate all my Gmail email.

My question is simple, what do you think is a good email address?

My name is Robert J. Langdon (not my real name, an example very similar to my name):

- robert.langdon@
    - robert_langdon@
    - robert.j.langdon@
    - rlangdon@
    - rjlangdon@

Another solution is register a domain like: http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/robertlangdon/ and create an email address with this domain.

But I think is a little a waste of resource because I don't want a website

Help me choice the best combination :) :apple::apple::apple:

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

rjlangdon kinda sounds funny but it is a pretty cool username. Also if you want you can use the first one, it sounds professional but your middle name isnt present.

3. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

What do you whink about robert.j.langdon@

I like this username :)

4. GGJstudios, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on which you personally prefer, and which names are available. If you're talking about creating a new Gmail account, all of your choices are already taken by other people. robertlangdon.com is also unavailable. You would have to check with your actual name to see if it's available.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

6. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

My name is not the name that I have written in example :)

The username that I have written in the first post, are all available.

But I need only a suggestion to chose the better

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Why do you think that one form might be better than another.
    Choose the one that you like, or one that is comfortable for you, or is meaningful to you.

Personally, I prefer to not use parts of my name in an email address - unless it is required.
    I like the.grifter@email.net - but that's just me.

8. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

This is an alternative idea.

But on resume for job I think that a professional mail is better. Or not?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For a resume or for professional uses, using your actual name is better. However, the format of your name, whether it be initials or full names, is irrelevant. Keeping it short and easy for people to remember is helpful.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I have seen all of the forms that you listed on resumes, and other business listings.
    Choose the one you like - or put each on a slip of paper, and pull one out of a hat, etc.
    And - that's the right choice!

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My experience has been that non-tech savvy people get tripped up by those underscores and dots in the email address. I would leave those out.

By far the most common way I see this in US business/government email addresses is first initial then last name. So "rlangdon".

What I would do is make the iCloud account name something unique that you will never give out then add rlangdon as an alias. This way if rlangdon ever gets overloaded by spam or you just want to change it, you can keep the underlying iCloud account and just change the alias.

12. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

13. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

What do you think about: name@surname.email ?

14. Rigby macrumors 601

Remember that you can set up up to 2 email aliases in addition to the initial address. So, you can set up your three preferred variants and use any of them whenever you want. ;) I'd definitely reserve firstname.lastname if it's still available.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is just totally my opinion, but I always think unless the name of the company is "surname" those look like vanity email addresses.

My personal preferred setup is something like tcook@apple.com or bjones@ford.com. That type setup.

16. campyguy macrumors 68030

Choose whatever name you like - then don't tell anyone! No, seriously!

What I like about iCloud, for email, is that one can add up to 3 aliases per account - so your "account" can be "joeblow@icloud.com" but your added aliases can be anything else that isn't already taken - and your Mac and iOS devices will allow you to send email via that alias (like ireallylovebroccolirobsandwiches@icloud.com or iwantagabagoolsub@icloud.com) - and those aliases will show up on your Mac/iPhone/iPad and can be deleted at any time.

Gotta go, it's time to dig into the other half of my Gabagool sub if I want to get some sleep tonight! :p

17. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

18. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

Some other suggestion?

P.S: at the moment I have registered a name.surname@outlook.de email address... good? But actually I have bought a domain: namesurname.com but I don't know if is a good or bad idea use it

19. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

Personally, I'm a big fan of the a.b.lastnamerson format with or without periods, of course, for me there's no "b".

But for a real broad scope of suggestions and feedback, you should really pose this question over at 4chan :D (not really)