Help Me Choose a Bag for....MY LIFE.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HappyDude20, Oct 13, 2010.

?

Which of these bags would you go for?

1. InCase Nylon Sling Backpack in 15inches

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. InCase Vertical Messenger Bag 15inches

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. InCase Messenger Bag (Not vertical)

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Ok, hey so..the My Life bit was added so I could find an excuse to post this here rather than the MBP or iPad section.

For the past 3 years i've owned a 17inch InCase black Sling backpack which became closer to me than any girlfriend ever has.

I've taken her to China, Japan, Chicago, New York and hopefully one day the moon. However, as of late she's been aging and wearing thin. We have a long relationship with countless adventures. One day I slipped while on the great wall of China but she was there to help my fall.

So I need a new bag. Most days than not I have either my iPad or MBP with me so the bag should be able to hold either/or.

Currently I'm a college student; but in a few months i'll be moving to Japan so def. will need a new bag. Then in a year i'll continue towards a Masters back at Uni here in the states. I don't know why i'm mentioning this; perhaps to state I don't need anything too professional looking but then again am not too big of a fan of the college-boy backpack look.

I've got these in mind; of which i'd love for you to vote on, just to see what the MR conscientious is.

1. InCase Nylon Sling 15in: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-sling-pack-cl55304/1

2. InCase Vertical Sling: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/coated-canvas-vertical-sling-cl57268/1

3. InCase Shoulder Bag: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/canvas-shoulder-bag-cl57174-a/3

As for #1, its the same bag i've had for years, only the look has been updated. A bit more round, and 15inches, not 17inches! This is a plus for me. I like #3's appearance more than #2's considering I feel of the two, #3 looks less like a purse.

If you got any other suggestions for a bag i'd love to hear it. Especially considering this new bag of mine will most likely be the bag I take to Japan when i'm out there, university afterwards and perhaps an extra year or two....For My Life. :apple:

I'll mention straight up i'm not a fan of the TimBuk2 bags. They're great bags, just not for me. :eek:

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd go with the 1st option, except I'd get the backpack. That bag really shouldn't be a "sling" bag and it wouldn't offer any real benefit, either aesthetically or in terms of weight distribution over your shoulders.

3. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I also think you should stick with ol' reliable #1, especially for the amount of walking you'll likely be doing in Japan. Messenger bags look great but are just not as easy to lug around for longer distances. Whenever I have more walking to do, I switch to a backpack style to keep the weight more centered to my body to relieve myself of the pendulum effect of the messenger bag.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Also, if you're going to Japan, they may (note: will!) have something cool that you can only find there. ;) They have lots of cool messenger bags.

Oh, and Incase makes the backpack style in colours other than black.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm glad that number 1 is being reinforced. My friend has a messenger bag but I do agree about the pendulum effects. Number 1 is the same kind of fact that I have now. The only difference is that mine is currently 17 inches instead of 15. And I have a 13 inch mac book pro so.... 15 inches is better.

I do know that there are other colors but I personally like black especially for the sling backpack considering how to looks like a jet pack.

Yeah I said it.

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The swiss gear bags you find at Target would work fine too, unless you HAVE to have something that looks all trendy and boxy like that first one XD

In terms of trendy and ridiculously expensive, I like crumpler bags. The giant turtle shell shape looks really comfortable for some odd reason. :D

Either way, I need a backpack pretty bad, my 'messenger' bag gets heavy and it kills me shoulders! ARGH!

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Just checke d out both sites. The crunpleras do look comfortable but prefer the incase deign. That and the crunpler ones are really expensive.

8. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

I've been using a Brenthaven 15" Pro backpack for 5 hard years of hauling my MBP all over the country and to work everyday. It holds more than just my MBP necessities, and I think its an attractive case to-boot. I think now they have a hybrid 15/17 bag, but after numerous drops, bangs and bumps, my MBPs that have been in that bag are always safe, and the bag today when dusted off looks as good as it is the day I bought it.

9. ryanide macrumors 6502

I like Tumi

Although a bit more expensive than your choices, the Tumi Alpha Bravo is an exceptionally well made bag and is really designed for today's necessities without all the bulk. It easily holds a 15" MBP, iPad, Chargers, with inner pockets for a Magic mouse and BT keyboard. I like that it is quite slim at the top and wider at the bottom. There is enough room to carry a DSLR with zoom lens attached (in addition to the MBP).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4209926&prodFindSrc=paramNav

10. adthenomad macrumors newbie

11. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Have you looked at Booq bags? I have a Cobra Case and it is the best computer case I have ever owned. I also have a Taipan messenger bag and one of their now discontinued backpacks (don't remember what model). In my experience the build quality is excellent--they will last forever.

I don't think any of the models I have would fit the bill but try the mamba shift or boa flow. They are both backpacks that look like they would fit your criteria.