Help me choose a car stereo for my iphone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hankkosovo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. hankkosovo macrumors member

I'm looking to spend between £100 and £200.

I preferably want a stereo that charges the iphone but still allows for the iphone to control itself, so that I can use the iphone's sat nav and select music through it and what not, I'd also like for iphone connectors to be at the back of the stereo so cables arnt cluttering up my dash board.

So any suggestions?

2. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Why not just get a FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter? I love mine

3. hankkosovo thread starter macrumors member

I have one of those and I don't think it's very good, every time I drive I have to change the frequency at least twice because my radio will pick up that of another transmitter.

4. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

I have a JVC and I love it. It has USB and AUX up front, and I think it also has a connection in back. You can control the stereo from the iPod/Phone or from the stereo itself, which is nice. I believe it was around $150.

JVC KD-R600, though mine is a couple of years old so I'm sure there's a new model.

5. brownpaw macrumors regular

I have a Pioneer with a USB connector and iPod control that worked great, until iOS 4.1 broke it. Just be weary, you might have to use a regular aux in with some stereos until Apple fixes this issue.

6. Matth345 macrumors newbie

I use a sony unit which was less than £200 from Halfords. I connect to it via bluetooth so obviously it doesnt charge the phone however i find it alot more convenient to keep my phone in my pocket without having to plug it in. There is however a USB socket on the front if battery is running low. This also alows full control over the phone including sat nav as well as the ability to take phone calls handsfree. It connects as soon as i turn the engine on and all i do is press play on the unit which then carries on from where it left off.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Sounds nice. I wish I knew which model you were talking about.

8. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

I have a simple Pioneer car stereo with an aux-in capacity (3.5mm jack) and simply plug the cable into the headphone's minijack. It works perfectly for me

9. carlgo macrumors 68000

Horrid, dangerous and awful. Should actually be illegal, like texting.

I would check out the Crutchfield site as they have tons of different ways of interfacing (sorry for that word) and different systems. I added an aux jack to a stock BMW radio, and there are kits for a lot of std radios so you might not have to get a new one unless you want the upgrade as well.

The good thing about the Aux is that with my old Gen 1 iPhone calls will mute the radio. A new phone with a TomTom, etc GPS app probably would mute it as well when "the voice" tells you to do a legal u-turn on an 8-lane freeway...

Mine hooks into a Tuneflex so it has the proper connection and sounds good.

Trust me that this is vastly better than an fm transmitter.