Help me choose a laptop, please.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarthTreydor, Aug 18, 2008.

1. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm looking to buy a laptop for school. I am a music and recording arts student and I own a mac pro which I use for audio recording and editing. I have a budget of $1000 that I'm going to buy for a laptop with that I plan on using to surf the web, type papers in the library, and open up logic projects in class. My original plan was to buy a macbook when they are updated but today i found what i believe to be a good deal on a used powerbook. so here are the options i'm weighing at the moment:

1. 15" G4 Powerbook 1.67 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD - $600

2. New updated low-end Macbook - $1000 (?) w/ EDU discount

3. Refurb of current low-end macbook - $900 ($800 after the update?)

I know the G4 has nothing on the intel machines but I was thinking I might use the money to put into my mac pro. And the laptop doesn't have to be able to do anything too taxing.

So what do you guys think?

2. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I would go refurb Macbook just for longevity's sake. It will most likely be able to run Snow Leopard, while the Powerbook may not. Also, I think the Macbook can take more maximum RAM, which will help speed it up later down the road.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Agreed. With your money and audio work, go with a refurb Macbook. Logic 8 needs a 1.25 GHz G4 minimum.

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

go with the refurb macbook. plus you are getting more of the portability which it sounds like you are wanting.

5. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Whatever you do end up doing, I wouldn't get the PowerBook. They're fine machines and everything, but Intel machines gives you the option to run Windows, for one thing, as well as generally being a good deal faster for almost every task. A new MacBook would probably serve you pretty well, and on top of that, you'd have a warranty extendable to three years, and in an educational environment you could well end up appreciating that (versus a refurb, unless of course you're talking about a refurb direct from Apple). The tasks you mentioned aren't too taxing as you noted, but Logic can get hectic.

Basically, go for an Intel Mac, and if $100-$200 isn't a major deal, then I'd get a new one. :)

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...defo go with a refurb of a current model...they have already probably been tested better then any new product out of the box and carry the same warranty:apple:

7. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

8. Cymbal macrumors newbie

I would go with either the new MacBook or the refurb MacBook. The MacBook will last you a lot longer than a PowerBook G4, though they are all fine computers.

9. DarthTreydor thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, I guess I knew the g4 was a bad idea. I was just enticed by the sexiness of it. I guess I'll just wait to see what the next revision brings to decide between a new machine and a refurb. God, the anticipation is killing me. This money is burning a hole in my pocket. :)

10. belunos macrumors member

I feel ya on that one, but I think your patience will be rewarded