Help Me Choose A Mac Please

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Hey MacRumor Family. So i'm currently using a mid 2011 MBP ( i added 8GB of ram and 128gb SSD). I am currently using lumafusion on my iPad pro to edit video and photos. I will be selling my ipad pro and putting the money towards a mac with which i can hopefully use as an all in one work horse. Please help me find the perfect mac based on my usage. (also, let me know if you think i can accomplish this using my current 2011 MBP)

My Usage:
  • I run an online store,
  • I have a video podcast that is shot in 1080.(i currently pay someone to edit it because lumafusion is limited) I would like to learn to edit it myself using final cut
  • I have started learning photography and would like to use Photo Shop to edit photos.
  • i shoot a lot of family videos in 4k (on my iPhone) which i would like to be able to edit
  • i have a large iCloud photo library that i would like to organize with over 27,000 photos and videos.
  • i am on the go a lot. Most of my work is done in coffee shops
  • i plan on running photoshop and final cut simultaneously as part of my workflow
  • i generally have about 10 tabs open in chrome at a time
  • assuming next years macs dont have face id and an arm processor, i plan on using my next computer for 4+ years
  • ***[ I ALSO GET A 15% DISCOUNT AT THE APPLE STORE ]***
Please let me know which Mac product and configuration you guys feel would work best for me. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
It depends what your budget is, but if I had the money (not unlimited) to buy a configuration I'm comfortable with, I would get:

2.6 15" / 32 GB RAM / New Radeon Vega GPU / 512 GB storage (Use a external Samsung T5 1TB SSD).

If budget is limited, then as mentioned I would get:

2.2 15" / 32GB RAM / 560X / 512 GB Storage

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Why are people recommending 32GB of RAM?

Just get a base 15" or the top end unit, depending on storage you want. Nothing in your usage suggest a RAM upgrade to me, save your money and spend it on the extra storage.

Reactions: xxray

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
Why are people recommending 32GB of RAM?

Just get a base 15" or the top end unit, depending on storage you want. Nothing in your usage suggest a RAM upgrade to me, save your money and spend it on the extra storage.
Well, it was mainly for future-proofing since his last laptop was a 2011. I am assuming he is planning to keep this MBP for a while, so 32GB would definitely be better if he plans to keep it for 3+ years.

But I agree, does he need it now ? Probably not. Will he need it in the future if he plans to keep it for a while? Probably.

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Well, it was mainly for future-proofing since his laptop was a 2011. I am assuming he is planning to keep this MBP for a while, so 32GB would definitely be better if he plans to keep it for 3+ years.

But I agree, does he need it now ? Probably not. Will he need it in the future if he plans to keep it for a while? Probably.
+1 for future-proofing, plus OP said multitasking is a priority. Who knows what amount of RAM image/video editing software will require in 2022.

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
The upgraded base 15" with the 2.6GHz i7, 16GB of of memory, 512GB SSD, and the 560X would be more than enough computer for you. There's also a benefit to buying a stock configuration as with any extensive repairs or hardware swaps, they'll have your model in plenty of supply.

Honestly even the base 2.2GHz model would be fine for your needs, with the exception possible being the 256GB storage drive. All of the other upgrade options wouldn't be a good use of money based on the usage use describe.