Help me choose a MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cking024, Feb 9, 2015.

1. cking024 macrumors newbie

I am a college student I'm trying to get a new laptop and I can't decide between a couple variations of the mac book air. I just need the computer for school like taking notes and writing papers. I do some gopro editing and I have a average amount of photos. First is should I go with i5 or the i7 core? Second should I go for the 128gb or 256 gb?

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

First the MacBook Air is a great choice if you're in college. The i5 is more than sufficient for your use. Second your memory depends how much disk space are you using right now? but 256 would be a better choice for later if you are planning to sell it later. Maybe something you forgot but the amount of RAM.. For your use 4 GB of RAM is enough. If you have enough money put that upgrade in your Mac and you are ready to go!:apple:

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

The base mba would be the best bang for buck for you.

4. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

I would wait until the current MBA gets refreshed as rumored with a higher clockspeed, they might also bump up the storage as well.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/09/macbook-air-update-february/

If you are doing gopro stuff, definitively get yourself 256gb at the very least.

If you plan on doing video editing, you might want i7 for faster rendering. Though the difference is probably not significant.

If you are pursuing doing a lot of video editing in the future, it might be wise to go with an RMBP.. MBA is not made for full blown video editing

5. iterva, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

iterva macrumors regular

Help me choose a MacBook Air

i5, 4GB Ram and 256 ssd.

Or if you can accept having a USB drive connected for your storage needs just go with 128 ssd (base model) and a USB storage of your choice, this would give the most value when considering money spent vs storage gained.

Or if you have wi-fi access everywhere then even cloud storage (although this is the slowest) might be a option.

Theres really no universal right or wrong choice, Since we all have different needs and sacrifices we are willing to make to meet those needs. :D Best of luck!

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got the 2014 MBA 1.7GHz 512GB SSD 4GB SDRAM and I have "0" music and (3) photos in iPhoto. Be diligent about available space on your MBA and photos and music are the biggest users of available space. I'm constantly getting pics off my iPhone 6 then placing them in my 1TB external HD...:cool: