Help me choose a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shahin90, Jan 27, 2015.

1. shahin90 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I want to buy a new 13 inch retina MBP. I need 16gb ram because I will be running Virtual machine for Windows and Linux, but what about CPU? Is the i7 noticably faster than the i5? Right now the i5 at 2.8 GHz is $200 cheaper than the i& at 3.0 GHz.

Also, would you buy a refurbished one right now? There are some on Apple's website that are released on July 2014. Are those the latest models?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you considered the 15" MBP, since you'll get a quad core processor? You'll be better off with more cores when it comes to virtualization.

3. shahin90 thread starter macrumors regular

I have had a 15inch model in the past and I find them too big to be honest because I travel a lot, and I usually just connect my MacBook to external displays at work/home, so 13 inch works out fine..

4. catan macrumors member

Refurbished is always a great deal, try to find one in October 2013 since the only change for July 2014 was a marginal CPU speed bump.

5. shahin90 thread starter macrumors regular

What about core i5 vs core i7? I am trying to decide between the 2 CPUs. Is the difference noticeable?

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

For short tasks the difference is probably not noticeable. If you have a task that uses a lot of CPU and it needs to run for a while, that is where you will notice it.

The bigger difference (for virtual machines at least) is that the 13 inch model does not have quad core. It may be hard to run OSX, Linux, and Windows at the same time. If you only run one virtual machine at a time it might work.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Zero. But the quad core will make it noticeable.

I wouldn't run a VM on a 13" to be honest. Get at least a 15".

8. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Get the 15" I'm sure you can find good prices on mac mall or apple refurb store.

9. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Run VMs on mine all the time. :::shrug::: Works great.

10. shahin90 thread starter macrumors regular

The 15 inch is too big and heavy for my day to day use and the fact that I use external monitors at work make it useless.:confused:

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

How big are you?

I find that my 15" rMBP is pretty lightweight and small enough to be carried around everywhere.

12. shahin90 thread starter macrumors regular

Dude! why do you question the basis of my question? I am not buying a 15 inch LOL

13. chipchen macrumors 6502

Haha... relax guys, OP doesn't want a 15".

I think in the real world there's nearly no noticeable difference between the i5 and i7 in 95% of situations. Use the money to bump the specs of the SSD instead. Some build to order options are there merely because they can charge for them.