Help me choose a MBP [merged]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by irunthistown, Jan 26, 2011.

1. irunthistown macrumors newbie

I need to purchase a Macbook Pro under $1000 preferably a 15". I need the computer for editing HD Video to make documentaries. I will be using CS5 After Effects , FCP, and Avid. Macbook Pro's change so dramatically I dont think its worth it shelling out $1500-$2500 for the new Macbook Pro with i5 and i7. Im looking for either the Late 08 Penryn or 09-10 Unibody Macbook Pro. What specs will I need to handle all these software I mention. I might upgrade the memory to 8gb to maximize my workflow. Here is what Im thinking

2.53ghz-2.66ghz
    Intel Dual Core 2
    4GB Ram
    320gb-500gb HD

Will this work for me ?

2. simsaladimbamba

They should work, just make sure to get an external FW800 HDD to use as scratch disk for MC, FCP and AE, as using the internal HDD is not recommended.

Btw, I don't understand why the MBP's "dramatically" changes isn't worth the extra money.
    I suppose your footage comes compressed and not on tape, therefore you have to ingest it via Log & Transfer (FCP) or import (Avid) or have to manually wrap it into the right container and codec, thus you will save lots and lots of time with an i5 or i7 CPU.
    Unless you use the compressed footage as source (via AMA in MC) and don't mind waiting for the Mac to react firmly.
    It will be a pain in the arse, especially with multi cam, if you haven't transcoded the footage properly (Pro Res or DNxHD).

3. irunthistown thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the footage is MPEG4 H.264 from a canon t2i camera. Thats what I will be editing. I will also be editing music videos as well. I just need the right setup. Im only trying to spend under $1000. Yes i5 or i7 might be worth the extra money but its gonna cost an extra $700-$1200. As long as I can do whatever I need to do thats all Im concerned about. Help me pick my setup.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

All this YELLING hurts my EYES. Please change your thread title.

As per your question, an older mac will do, but won't be optimal. For under $1000, you're either looking at a windows 7 machine, or having to deal with the slower, older macbook. Also, was it the Penryns that had GPU issues?

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The first unibody macbooks were all Penryns. The only difference between them and the "Penryn" non unibodies that you are referring to are a couple of tweaks and a clock speed bump so don't expect huge performance increases with the unibody models. In the graphics department you get the dual GPUs and the better 9600m GT. I don't think these MBPs can handle 8GB reliably.

Also, the last non-unibody "Penryn" MBP is the one with the defective 8600m GT. I would avoid it for this alone, I have used mine for the past 2 years in constant fear of it failing. Whether you to choose to read this as the issue not being as serious as its made out to be, is up to you. :eek:

Seems like you're not interested in getting the latest and greatest and have a budget to stick to. Why not set a reasonable time frame until which you are willing to wait for a refresh and then get the current i5 at a lower price. You do video editing so the performance benefit affects users like you most of all. Just know that only the 17" has an express card slot so if you want a fast external drive or scratch disk you are stuck with FW800.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you are doing resource heavy editing, you may be better off getting one of the Quad Core CPU PCs, which I am sorry to say that Apple does not have:(. Asus quad core systems can be had for under a grand and their capability is as good, if not better, versus even the most expensive MBP that would run you about 3x the price.

Samsung is about to release a (small and light) aluminum/magnesium cased Sandy Bridge Quad Core with (IIRC) 16GB, a 512GB SSD, a LED backlit/HD screen for something disgusting like $1400 and the past few portable computers made by Samsung have been golden and proved to be some of the toughest in the game.

7. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

Look on Ebay,

I picked up a 2009 unibody 2.53 C2D, 4gb ram and 250HDD

Apple care unil 2012 in 9.5/10 shape for $1200

Great deal in my opinion. Ive always wanted the 15" but could never afford the $1600+ for it.

8. irunthistown, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

irunthistown thread starter macrumors newbie

2009 MACBOOK PRO 2.8GHZ INTEL DUO CORE 2 VS MACBOOK PRO 2.4GHZ INTEL i5 PROCESSOR ?

Which one should I buy and why ? Its used for video editing with FCP, AE, and Avid.

15" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz Intel Duo Core 2 , 500gb HD, 4 Gb Ram $ 1200

or

15" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz Intel i5 , 320gb HD, 4gb Ram for $1550

9. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Well that would all depend on what YOU are using it for. And please refrain from caps.

Aaron

10. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I personally would get the newer one since you are getting the updated video card and battery life. Also, is the warranty the same on both? That's something else to think about.

11. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

if the old one has warranty or you can get applecare, that one.
    But if you wanna play games or video-demanding tasks you probably are better with the new one that has nvidia 320m.

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

the question you need to ask yourself is do you need more speed and less space or more space but less speed?

13. irunthistown thread starter macrumors newbie

But isnt the 2.8gh faster than 2.4ghz ?

14. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

We are past the days when raw clock speeds equated to more speed. Nowadays clock speed is less of an important aspect as the architecture and how well clock cycles are executed etc. The i5 is a big step up compared to the C2D to my knowledge and even with the lower clock speed, it should beat the 2.8ghz C2D.

15. asdf542 macrumors 6502

The second MacBook Pro has a faster CPU and GPU. Definitely take the second one. You can upgrade the HDD at a later time if you need to or you can use an external HDD.

16. prism macrumors 6502a

Actually, the i5 comes with a 330m which is significantly faster than the 320m that is found in the 13".
    Also the i5 has 4 cores (2 virtual) which will also significantly boost things like movie editing, compression etc.

17. irunthistown thread starter macrumors newbie

SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE NEW AMD PROCESSOR MACBOOK PRO's OR SHOULD I BUY THE i5 NOW ?

Apparently Apple Macbook Pro's will be getting the new AMD Processor's for 2011. So should I wait or buy the i5 now ?

18. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

19. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Interesting, however alot has been said since November 10, last year. If they have AMD I won't get it...

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is just a rumor, it has not been confirmed that Apple would use AMD CPUs in Macs. iMac and Mac Pro already use AMD GPUs so that might be the reason why they were seen in the slideshow.

21. irunthistown thread starter macrumors newbie

AMD will make Macbook Pros better and even faster. Rumors have it they gonna be releasing the 8-Core Macbook Pro's this year with AMD processors.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Until we have concrete benchmarks of Llano CPUs, we don't know how fast they will. One thing is sure and that is there won't be an 8-core mobile CPU.

23. goMac macrumors 603

You did actually read the article, right?

AMD Macbook Pros are not coming. AMD mobile chips are traditionally slower anyway.

24. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Lol. OP fails to even read his own source.