Help Me Choose a MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noregretoc, Dec 27, 2011.

  1. noregretoc macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2010
    I currently have a 2006 Macbook I got while I was in college. She has served me well, but it is time to upgrade. I am trying to figure out what to get and I am hoping based on the info provided you all can help me make a decision :D

    I use my laptop everyday for professional and personal use. I am a freelance designer (don’t ask how I have gotten by so long with the 2006 MB) and use CS5 pretty extensively. I don’t really do much gaming on my laptop, but will probably do more once Diablo 3 comes out. I have a display and keyboard/mouse set up so screen size is not all the important to me. I have like the 13" for its portability. Obviously pretty much anything I buy will be a huge upgrade over what I have currently.

    Here are my questions:
    Is the price increase worth the performance increase in the 13" models?
    Is the base 15" worth the price increase over the 13" model?
    Would it be best to wait at this point for the next spec refresh on the 13” models or will that be a long wait?
    Which model would best fit my needs? I am trying to decide between the 13” models and the base 15” model. Those are what my budget will allow.

    Finally, is there anywhere to sell or trade in old Macbooks and iMacs (other than eBay)?

    Thanks for all your help guys!
  2. MrBullet macrumors member

    Oct 18, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Hmm I'm no expert but I would get the 13'' i7 with 8GB of RAM maybe. Then you have the portability and the performance.

    If you can splash the cash maybe look at an SSD for extra performance.
  3. noregretoc, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011

    noregretoc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2010
    From what I have read, the higher-spec 13" isnt worth the extra cost. I am definitely thinking about SSD regardless of which one I choose. I think I'd rather have the base 13" with SSD than the i7 13" without SSD.


    I did a search before posting and found some helpful information, but I wanted to get some additional information in a thread of my own. Thanks for such a helpful post.
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    1. Probably not. But if you will keep it for 5 years, it might make sense, since you can't upgrade the CPU later
    2. yes. Much bigger screen, dedicated GPU (Diablo 3!!!), quad core = almost twice as fast
    3. will be a long wait (1/2 year probably)
    4. 15'' base model with high-res antiglare screen and maybe a SSD.

    Unfortunately the 15'' with the upgrades is quite expensive. If it's too much, just stick with the 13'' base model. What I wouldn't do is go half-way and take the upgraded 13''... that's a bad compromise imho, unless you prefer the 13'' form factor.
  5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

    Mar 29, 2009
    If you are getting by with a 2006 MB 13", then ANY current MBP or MBA will be a huge upgrade.

    If you want portability and own only one Mac, then the a MBA 13" is awesome. You can attach an external HD and LCD. It runs CS5 incredibly well.

    If you don't care about portability but see it as just a once in a while advantage, get the MBP 15" with discrete graphics card and an SSD. The MBP 15" is IMHO a big improvement over the MBP 13", but if cost is a problem then the MBP 13" is fine. I like the MBA over the 13" MBP but you can increase RAM and install a dual SSD and HDD in the MBP 13".

    If you can wait for the summer, then I would for the new MBA and MBP models.
  6. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

    Dec 21, 2011
    The Diablo III beta isn't too rough on PCs. I have a base 15" MBP with the 512MB Radeon 6750m. If you want I can download Diablo III on here and tell you how it runs.

    The only thing I have done so far is put 8GB of Crucial RAM in it about 10 minutes ago.
  7. rault18 macrumors member


    Dec 13, 2011
    Las Vegas, Nv
  8. MrBullet macrumors member

    Oct 18, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    What's your budget my friend anyway? I mean if you have $$ floating about, get the best spec you can afford, then that way your MBP should suffice your needs for longer.
  9. Rik. macrumors newbie


    Dec 27, 2011
    I just got the MacBook Pro 13". 2.8Ghz i7 and 8Gb RAM.

    This is my very first Mac.

    I've spent 20 years on PCs so I know nothing about Macs, at all.

    I'm using Fusion 4 so that I can continue to run some of my PC applications (the reason for the 8GB of RAM), whilst learning about Macs.

    I have to say that I'm delighted (so far!) with the purchase and hope to learn much about Macs on this forum.

    If you don't do any gaming (as I don't) then get the 13", and if you plan to, then get the 15" with the additional graphics card is almost a must.

    I don't use CS5.
    I use Xara Designer Pro and that is probably not as hungry on RAM.

    So, don't wait. Get the MacBook Pro now!
  10. MrBullet macrumors member

    Oct 18, 2011
    Bristol, UK
  11. noregretoc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2010
    Thanks for all the posts guys!

    My budget is around $1500 with some wiggle room, so that's why I am debating 2 options.

    - i5 13" with SSD and 8 GB and any other upgrades you guys would recommend
    - Base 15"

    I am thinking the 13" would be the way to go as I would be able to upgrade it well and still most likely come out under budget. The integrated graphics should be able to run Diablo 3 too, so I am not too worried about that.

    What say you macrumors?
  12. VMMan macrumors 6502a

    Mar 29, 2009
    A SSD in any Mac will amaze you. If you can, budget for this. If not, you can always easily add this later in a MBP.

    MBP 15" is more "future proof" with discrete graphics and incredible quad-core Core i7.
  13. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2011
    I would wait if you can manage to use your 2006 MBP. The new 15 MBP will be out sometime Mar-June, and could have a retina display with greater resolution, USB 3.0, and Ivy Bridge cpu with longer battery life.
  14. GaiaAero macrumors regular

    Jul 10, 2010
    If you wait for technology, you'll never buy. If the OP wants to buy the MBP right now, let them. :p
  15. 262Runnr macrumors regular


    Jul 21, 2008
    I'm not a MAC expert by any means buy I can tell you that installing an SSD in any machine makes a huge difference and is well worth the money.
  16. noregretoc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2010
    Any thoughts between these 2 options?

Share This Page