help me choose a new HDD for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MAcNIAC, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

Recently my MBP died:mad::(:(, (wouldnt start, black screen, white light on) searched the net, consensus was bad RAM. I have the apple supplied 2gig. took it to apple, turns out it's the connector for one of the ram slots (so it runs with 1gig of ram - for the moment) - anyway it turns out it needs a new logic board.

If i'm going to have the logic board replaced, i think i should upgrade the HDD while the techs have it all pulled apart - so What HDD to get? My priorities are (1) reliability (2) size and (3) speed

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Western Digital's 320 Gb 5400 RPM Scorpio is my suggestion. It's a little faster than the 7200 RPM drives due to data density, and it packs a lot of storage, so I recommend you get one. I've got a fair bit of experience with WD and they haven't failed me yet, go for it... but it might cost a little more to have them throw it in for you.

3. ajx22 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Great drive and fantastic drive manufacturer.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You lost me here. Not only is it a contradiction in terms 1800RPM deficit. But the seek times of a 5400rpm are 2ms slower.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

The WD 320GB is nearly as fast as the smaller 7200 drives due to the thickness of its platters

This has something to do with the amount of data you have on the drive & perpendicular recording

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

1. Perpendicular recording.
    2. Drive access times highly depend on the amount of data on them. Thus a half filled 320 gb drive will be faster than an almost full 200 gb drive.

If you want more detailed information, Wikipedia is your friend.

8. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Apple won't do this for you, just so you know. They don't do post-sales upgrades even with their own parts, let alone user-supplied ones. Unless you're having it fixed out of warranty, but even then...

9. MAcNIAC thread starter macrumors regular

yep 15months old, out of warranty. luckily bought it with a gold credit card that automatically gives a 12month extension on the warranty. It will be fixed by an apple re-seller as there are no apple stores here.

PS thanks for the advice re the WD drive guys

10. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

You might want to check the power drain of the new drive compared to the one you already have. In this post, I went looking for the power usage of the Western Digital 320-gig drive and found its peak power drain to be around double that of my existing 120-gig drive. I decided to go with the Hitachi 250-gig drive, which was about 50% more, with idle usage only about 20% more.

Now, I don't know what percentage of the MB Pro's power usage is taken by the hard drive, so I'm not sure what effect increasing the hard drive's usage has on total battery life. Anyone got some experience with the larger drives and how they affect battery life?

11. MAcNIAC thread starter macrumors regular

nice point - i guess that's a consideration too
    did you notice any change in battery life when you changed drives?

12. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I just put one of these in my 15" MBP to replace a 100G 7200RPM drive. A noticeable difference in performance. I'm glad I did it, and it's like having a totally new machine with all the space I've got now...

MacDann

13. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I haven't gotten the new drive yet; I'm waiting for either payday or a certain incoming cheque, whichever comes first.