Help me choose a new router to replace my current setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kap09, Sep 20, 2009.

1. kap09 macrumors 6502

So my current network setup is becoming cumbersome and starting to show it's age pretty badly. It's time to upgrade.

Current Setup:
    Non-wireless Linksys router (pretty sure this is not gigabit) and Flying Saucer Airport Extreme (b/g, circa 04)
    Have a PS3, Tivo HD, and iMac hardwired. A MB and an MBP connecting wirelessly, as well as a Windows netbook. Printer shared via AEBS with USB.

So the UFO is getting unreliable, and I took it in to get replaced under applecare. Good news is they'll do it. Bad news is it will be another vintage UFO doing b/g only. The real issue is that if i upgrade later, I only get ONE basestation covered under applecare. In other words, if I'm going with the new AEBS, now is the time.

That said, I'm not sold on the AEBS being worth the money. I have a few requirements with the upgrade. First, I need n speeds. I share files from all the connected macs, and doing this over g is a killer. Second, I need continued USB printer sharing built in, as hooking up to one of the macs is not an option due to locations. Finally, I need to be able to share USB HDs through the router as well. I know this is possible with a hub attached to the new AEBS. Gigabit ethernet is a desired bonus, but might not be a requirement.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-apple solution or even apple alternative to the AEBS? Just want to stay cost effective here.

2. akbc macrumors 6502

The new AEBS comes with Dual-Band 802.11b/g/n and it does all those printer/HDD stuff, too.

And since it's dual-band, it's really fast in transferring files without getting interrupted by other wireless products...

I wouldn't say it's the most cost-effective, but it's definitely a hassle-free solution that suits you 100%

3. kap09 thread starter macrumors 6502

it certainly does seem to fit my needs completely. just figured it was worth looking for any other suggestions before putting the money out for the aebs

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat that you were in roughly 2 months ago. I am happy to say that the AEBS dual band is a BEAST! I think it is worth the money. I went from having a Netgear wireless N gigabit router to the AEBS, and I haven't looked back. After I set it up and saw the performance difference, I never thought twice about it being worth the money. Good luck with your choice.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...after burning up a few netgear routers and a couple Linksys routers, I took the plunge and splurged on the AEBS current model and couldn't be happier... the two remaining Linksys routers I have (both G) are now on back up duty and one in my office...

I've got a 1st gen iPod Touch, belkin G, buffalo N, Sony G, eeePC N and the two macs in my sig connecting to it with out any issues on a WPA2 network...

...oops, almost forgot my Brother MFC7840w AIO laser wireless networked printer and my HP7260e photo ink printer...