Help me choose a right macbook!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kjay80, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kjay80 macrumors regular

I am undecided between macbook air 13inch base model and MBP 13inch base model.
    Portability is important, but my main concern is performance on bootcamp/window7 for work.
    can anyone chip in your thoughts how the 13inch air fares against MBP 13inch?
    Will it perform as well as other PC ultrabooks?

I will be doing web surfing, entertainment, etc. on os x and work related on PC, so my usage will be 50/50.
    Any thoughts?

2. animatedude macrumors 65816

if you insist on the 13 inch size, i would wait until at least NOV for the 13 inch rMBP.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are comparing base models, the MacBook Air would have a slight edge, since the SSD will speed up a lot of tasks, including starting Windows. However, the 128GB SSD might be a tight fit. You might consider the jump to the 256GB model.

As for the CPU, the 2.5GHz i5 on the base MacBook Pro performs roughly on par with the 2.0GHz i7 in the top of the line Air (they have similar Turbo Boost capabilities), and thus roughly 15-20% faster than the 1.8GHz i5 on the base Air (perhaps closer to 20%). Graphics are roughly the same.

What sort of Windows applications do you need to run?

4. stchman macrumors 6502a

Are you for certain that Apple is definitely releasing a retina version of the MBA?

Link please?

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Was there every any doubt that Apple would release the 15" Aluminum Powerbook after they introduced the Aluminum 12" and 17" powerbooks? Of course Apple will release a retina 13" MBP. It's just a matter of time.

No one has your link.

6. Moneymiike420 macrumors regular

Moneymiike420

If you cant wait till sept 12th(to see if a macbook or imac is mentioned) along with the Iphone5 and 7"ipad which are due in november..the 13" mba is an amazing laptop fast,portable,nice screen...the mbps are amazing too its all a matter of hdd space and if u want an ssd on the air.the ssd is rediculously fast instant on when u open and close the lid....doesnt make a peep and barely gets warm..the mbps have a slightly more powerful processor but u give up the ssd speed for that.

Edit- iphone and ipad are actually due in october (I HOPE)

7. stchman macrumors 6502a

I do think that Apple will eventually redesign the MBA, will it have retina display, maybe. The poster gave pretty specific dateline of November. It might take at least two years for Apple to put a retina display on a MBA.

Since Apple just released the rMBP, they will want to sell as MANY of those as possible to cash in. If there is a rMBA(which will cost less than a rMBP), what would be the driving force of people to buy a rMBP?

8. animatedude macrumors 65816

i said rMBP not MBA because it the benchmark of it appeared a couple of times already and after the success of the 15 inch Retina, it's quite inevitable..

9. kjay80 thread starter macrumors regular

you are right, i should at least wait for the sept. announcement see if there is any surprise to macbook lines.
    i would love to see MBP 13inch in retina!

----------

by the way, i purchased 256GB SSD couple weeks ago, so i can install in MBP 13inch.