Help me choose a UK tariff for iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedTomato, Mar 27, 2009.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I've just given in to the dark side, and bought a 2G iPhone. It's lovely.

Now I need to get a SIM card for it.

I will only use it for texts (300 - 500 per month) and web, not phone calls.

Can anyone advise me what the best UK tariff is?

The iPhone isn't unlocked - it's o2 only at the moment, but if there's a good offer elsewhere I'll try to unlock it.

Thanks!

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

No idea if this is the best, but I was very happy with O2 Simplicity - although I didn't use it for the Web.

Contract is only 30 days and the tariff starts at £9.79 per month for 150 minutes and 300 texts. There used to be a bolt-on of unlimited Wi-Fi for £5 per month, but it seems to be only available for on the more expensive tariffs. Not sure how the Web access works, but it says 'from 98p per day'.

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

My dad just picked up a Simplicity SIM on my advice. £14.69, monthly contract, 600 texts, 300 anytime any network minutes, with unlimited O2 to O2 minutes. It's great value.

4. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Ok, just been down to the O2 shop.

They sold me a PAYG sim, - £10 monthly topup gets you 300 texts, plus the iPhone web Bolt-On which is also £10 per month.

The neat thing, or so they promised me, is that the cost of the bolt-on counts towards the monthly top-up.

So basically for £10/month, I get 300 free SMS plus unlimited iPhone internet, plus Cloud / BT OpenZone access (useful as I travel a lot in London, which has a lot of these access points)

I reckon that's pretty much the cheapest possible way of running a full-featured iPhone.

If I need more SMS, £15/month will get me 500 free messages, with a fiver left over for more texting or calls (or even use it to pay for another bolt-on).

Just hope it all works out.

Am concerned that using a PAYG tariff means my texts get a lower priority, and will take longer to arrive, compared to people on a contract. We will see.

Does that include web, or is it extra? Not sure why you'd want an iPhone without web access?

5. johtaja macrumors newbie

i got simplicity too, 20 pounds a month, 600min, unlimited txt and unlimited internet usage.

6. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That's cool. I don't text all that much (got a job and a child) , but if I find myself going over 600 texts / £20 a month i'll give it a go.

It's so nice having an iphone with no contract and being able to pick and choose :)

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Yeah, I held off getting an iPhone until I could find a nice one second hand that I could use contract free :) Enjoy it, I wouldn't think your texts would get slowed down because you're payg