Help me choose an external CD/DVD drive/burner please.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Queenredspecial, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

Hello!

I have a first generation Macbook Pro, and although it has been quite a work horse, the DVD/CD drive failed long ago. And I desperately need one.

I need it to read and write CDs and DVDs without issue, and preferably not too slow. I don't need anything special like blue ray and stuff.

Is there one true blue burner out there? I have never used an external one, an would very much appreciate the help and enlightenment -- thank you.

In case you're wondering, I am running OS 10.4.11, if it matters.

2. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

First - I would upgrade to snow leopard, it only costs $30 and is well worth it.

Second - Be really careful with the one you pick because some drives won't allow you to boot to disk through the external. A friend of mine is having issues trying to reinstall OS X, because his Mac won't boot to the OS X DVD in the external, and his internal died.

I talked with a guy from Apple support and he promised me that this would work.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV638VC/A

Here's to hoping he wasn't lying. :rolleyes:

3. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you -- good to know!

The reason I have not upgraded to Snow Leopard is that I am afraid I will use my software -- I have CS2, for which I no longer have the cds, and I would be devastated if I have to re-purchase the program.

Will they upgrade me to snow leopard at the apple store? (clearly, i know nothing about this.) :)

Thanks!

4. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

I would talk to the guys at the Genius Bar, see if they have any recommendations for upgrading. Other than that just do some googling to see if it's compatible.

They may have a bootable firewire or usb drive that they can use to help you upgrade, but don't expect it to be cheap.