Help me choose an MBP or MBA!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bektravels, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bektravels macrumors regular

It's time to update my late 2008 13" Alu MB and I was hoping to get some input from peeps:)

Main uses: working from home (with a thunderbolt display), graphic design & photography with CS6 & Lightroom. I've always like smaller notebooks for travel so I'm thinking:

13" MBA 2.0ghz I7, 8GB RAM, 512gb flash storage OR
    13" MBP retina, 2.9ghz I7, 8GB RAM, 512gb flash storage

So, I guess I'd like to hear how ppl with similar setups/uses find either of the above...

Would the MBA be grunty enough or will be hating on it soon enough like I currently am with the MB?

2. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

MBP has more horsepower and better graphics. Much better for what you are describing.

3. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've had the MacBook Air, the normal MacBook, and now the MacBook Pro. Definitely the Pro. Much more of a machine.

4. Livewings macrumors regular

When you mention graphic design, rMBP is the way to go.
    The high resolution will be useful. :D

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not really.

The downside of an rMBP is once you start using it, you will never want to go back to another display.

6. Livewings macrumors regular

I saw the display. Makes my laptop display look prehistoric.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

MacBook Pro for sure, rMBP 15" before 13", but definitely the 13" rMBP before MBA.

Make sense? lol.

8. bektravels thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all, yeah I guess deep down I thought the MBA might be a bit gutless. rMBP is prolly the way of the future for me:)

9. toiday macrumors regular

I have a 13" MBA and like it a lot, for leisure. For work, I use 15" MBP. I like smaller laptop too. One time I swapped the 15" MBP with a 13" (before the Retina was available) and quickly regret it because of the 1280x800 screen resolution. The 13" Retina is much better and it's not much thicker than the 13" MBA. My vote is 13" Retina.