Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SACD02

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Toronto
Hello

Which one is a better purchase? I'm planning to use Adobe Lightroom 2.0/Adobe Photoshop CS4 for my workflow along with iPhoto

Which camera delivers better quality and has better support in terms of lenses and aftermarket upgrades?

Thank you in advance

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I was literally in your spot about a week ago.

Here's what happened to me.

I bought the A200K. I loved the way it felt in my hand, the features, and all that. However, the pictures weren't great. I took better looking pictures with my point and shoot Fujifilm A350. They were grainy and yeah.

To be clear: I don't know if the error was from me, maybe it was a lemon or the kit lens isn't great. I played around with it for two days and decided to return it (there was a special going on and I didn't want to miss it.)

So I returned it and got the Canon XS. It doesn't feel as good in the hand, lacks features that the Sony has, but the picture quality is much much better.

Again, I could've just received a lemon, it might need some setting up out of the box, or I might've messed up a setting but the pictures of the A200 just didn't match up to the XS.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
With so many Canon lenses available, I went with Canon. It has been great as I have purchased a couple L series lenses and am taking great (for me) pics. Any EF series lens will work with your Canon purchase.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Which one is a better purchase? I'm planning to use Adobe Lightroom 2.0/Adobe Photoshop CS4 for my workflow along with iPhoto

Which camera delivers better quality and has better support in terms of lenses and aftermarket upgrades?

Well If you choose Lightroom then forget iPhoto cause Lightroom and Aperture is more of an advance photo management system while iPhoto is a basic one but with good features and its free!. Photoshop is the grand mama of photo editing software and if you think the price is too much for you or don't need that much features then consider its grand child, Photoshop Elements ;)

Now since the point is better quality and lens and aftermarket, I will say go for Canon.

Why? Yeah you can get old Minolta lenses for Sony but I bet it will be challenging to find a old Minolta lens that is still in good condition, with Canon you have much more choices and your hit rate of getting a old lens in good condition is much higher then Sony.

Which camera deliver better quality? In terms of ISO performance, Canon beats Sony but in the whole image quality list its 1st Nikon, 2nd Canon, 3rd Sony. Ergonomics is a subjective matter so I wont touch on that one except that some people prefers Minolta ergo (which is what Sony dSLR is based on), I just can't stand Sony ergo so that's just me.

Aftermarket upgrades? Well if you are talking bout battery grips and flash guns, both is about equal and their accessories do work as intended to.

Hope this helps :)

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Canon is the way to go. I have an XSi and love it. Definitely worth the upgrade over the XS.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Which camera deliver better quality? In terms of ISO performance, Canon beats Sony but in the whole image quality list its 1st Nikon, 2nd Canon, 3rd Sony. Ergonomics is a subjective matter so I wont touch on that one except that some people prefers Minolta ergo (which is what Sony dSLR is based on), I just can't stand Sony ergo so that's just me.

I don't know about "listing quality".

I found the Nikon pics, compared to the Olympus pics, rather flat when using the regular Nikon glass. Nikon ED glass is a different matter.

Canon's regular glass is better than Nikon's regular. Of course ED is better, but I think Canon L is even better.

Then there's the Zeiss glass available for Sony...

I think glass makes a difference as well.

SACD02

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Toronto
Thank you all for your suggestions
I'm going for the Canon which seems like a better choice over Sony
I'm planning to slowly buy more lenses and equipments in future and for that and the overall quality, Canon is a better choice I guess

The only downside with Lightroom is that it doesnt have an iLife preview function within the finder....

Thanks again

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know about "listing quality".

I found the Nikon pics, compared to the Olympus pics, rather flat when using the regular Nikon glass. Nikon ED glass is a different matter.

Canon's regular glass is better than Nikon's regular. Of course ED is better, but I think Canon L is even better.

Then there's the Zeiss glass available for Sony...

I think glass makes a difference as well.

Good point, yea lenses do make a whole lot of a difference. Well I read some review bout Zeiss lens for Sony and eventhough its good but its not as good as Nikon glass or Canon glass, in fact people criticized that some Zeiss lens is not weatherproof especially at the price you are paying for it.

The only downside with Lightroom is that it doesnt have an iLife preview function within the finder....
Huh? What are you talking? What finder? OSX finder or LR finder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.