Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abraham.s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
New York
I am currently using 2014 5k [i7 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM] iMac for office use. I open and view large PDF files a lot.
I also use a lot of google maps/street view browsing. Both are too heavy it seems on my current system.

It gets really slow sometimes and gets really hot and the fan cannot handle it and it's shutting down too often.

Can you please help me which model would work best for me?

What is most important for my needs? CPU? GPU? or maybe just the RAM?

Thanks in advance.
And stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
That seems a light load for an imac. Can you identify the most cpu intensive and memory intensive processes in activity monitor?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2019 27" base (CPU) model should do fine.
Get 8gb of RAM (can always add more later)
GET AN INTERNAL SSD (512gb or just 256gb if you don't keep a lot of files on it).

The internal SSD is CRITICAL if you want all the speed the other components of the Mac can deliver.

IMPORTANT:
You CANNOT buy an iMac pre-configured with an SSD at an Apple Store (which are all closed anyway right now).
They MUST be ordered through Apple's "build to order" page.

BUT...
You CAN find iMacs with SSD's installed on Apple's online refurbished pages.
That's where I'd be looking.

Reactions: colodane

abraham.s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
New York
That seems a light load for an imac. Can you identify the most cpu intensive and memory intensive processes in activity monitor?
To clarify, these issues happened in Bootcamp. Sorry for not mentioning it in the OP.
I have to use Windows for my work.

Where can I check? In the task manager?

I think I pretty much know when the problems occur. When viewing and scrolling too fast on big PDF files. And also when browsing google maps and street view.
[automerge]1585069648[/automerge]
For heavy load, you have to choose the high-performance processor and RAM. If you use graphic applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, you have to improve the GPU.
I guess my main question is if viewing big PDF files - or using a lot of open google maps or youtube videos is something that uses the power of the CPU? Or the GPU?

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Where can I check? In the task manager?

resource monitor, I should think.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/28/a-detailed-windows-resource-monitor-guide/

I use pdfs and safari on the mac side, with an i5 and 24 gb (retina imac, 1st generation). I've found that it's very difficult to run into the proverbial wall.

However, on bootcamp, I ran into a few performance issues, as bootcamp was installed on the hard drive portion of a fusion drive. Most of these issues cleared up when I moved to using an external SSD-- something that Windows does it's best to thwart, but, hey.

Winclone may help you migrate an HD partition to an SSD.

If you already have an SSD, I'm not sure what to say. The i7/m295x imacs were known to run hot.

Last edited:

abraham.s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
New York
If you already have an SSD, I'm not sure what to say. The i7/m295x imacs were known to run hot.

I think this is the answer to my issues. It runs hot and the fan cannot handle it and therefore shuts down.

So when looking at getting a newer model, anything should be good for my needs?
[automerge]1585071430[/automerge]
You CAN find iMacs with SSD's installed on Apple's online refurbished pages.
That's where I'd be looking.

You would rather take a 2017 refurbished model?

Aubergiste

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
Indeed it seems to be a temperature problem.
You can check temperatures via software. For example, Speccy from ccleaner, should display temperatures and indicates if it's running too hot.

If it is a temperature problem, first thing to do is cleaning the heatsink to improve it action. A lot of dust remains in the computer and prevent it to be cooled enough.

I don't know 2014 Imac. I opened a lot of 2012-2013 Imac. It should be the same.
Best way is to open the computer and clean the Heatsink from inside. But may be, it is a bit complicated.

Without disassembling the computer you can try to use a vacuum cleaner and put it near the air vents behind the imac. I don't know if it will be powerful enough. Otherwise may be you can blow some air through the air vent with a small bottle of pressurised air or with a air compressor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.