Help me choose ipad 1, 2 or xoom

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NovemberWhiskey, Mar 25, 2011.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I want to get a tablet mainly because I fly a lot and my MBP17 is too big for comfortable in-flight use.

I'd like to watch movies, play games, connect to wifi, etc.

The ipad1 is on sale for 300 (price is the only reason I am still considering it with the ipad 2).

I have used the ipad1 briefly, and wasn't impressed. It felt like a big iphone to me. I was previously an iphone 3gs user, but moved on to the moto droidx. The Droidx stock was garbage, but with custom roms and 3rd party apps, it has become enjoyable. However, I still find myself missing the iphone from time to time. I think if Apple came out with a bigger iphone, a revamped OS, and more customizable features, I would jump back in a heartbeat. There really is nothing like Apple's polish out there.

Anyways, I know this is an apple board, but that is partly why I came here. Although I would appreciate objective analysis, I know there will be ipad bias (which is ok because I would like to see the advantages of ipad over xoom).

Thanks! :)

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

3. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Please post why. I know what my choices are, but I want to know the advantages.

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Well the iPad2 will be better with games regarding graphics, and speed, compared to the fatpad. Maybe not noticable at the moment, but developers will optimize for the better specs.

No idea on what the Xoom would be like for games.

5. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I played with a Xoom. The hardware is fine but the HoneyComb OS is really beta. Many of the Android apps won't load on HoneyComb, and for the ones that do many won't fill the screen.

I would say in a year Android will be competitive with iPad. But right now buying a HoneyComb tablet is going to be a limited selection of apps that in general don't look good or work well.

I really wanted a Xoom. My buddy bought with the same attitude as me and returned it a week later because of the bugs. He bought an iPad 2 and is very happy. I also bought an iPad 2 about 3 days ago (I never owned an iPad 1).

6. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

If you didn't like the iPad 1, you won't like the iPad 2. They're not different enough. Get the Xoom (or wait a few months and try the other fighters, e.g. PlayBook/TouchPad, if you can).

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I got an iPad 1 the day 2 was released. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I use my iPad for movies, books, simple games, and occasional web browsing. I am completely satisfied with my purchase, its a great device. But since you stated you wanted it for games, you might want to consider the iPad 2 instead of 1 since it has updated graphics and its dual core... I don't think you can go wrong either way. Best of luck, whichever you choose.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It sounds like you're describing iPad 2 given your impressions of iPad 1. (Which were probably under OS 3.2 with early apps).

Anyhow, IMHO that characterization is not accurate. Try a top tier app designed for the iPad (like Garageband) and tell me again it's just an oversized iPhone.

B

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's the software, both the OS and available apps. iPad wins.

10. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

...I just got an iPad 2 ( 64 Gb WiFi Only ) from TARGET yesturday with a Gray cover...I think an iPad 2 will be sweet :)

11. mytran80 macrumors regular

You should get the iPad 1 since there is not much difference when comparing it with the iPad 2s overall basic every day use features. ,the front and rear camera is not much use if you have an iPhone 4 besides the quality of the cameras aren't that great either . I have an iPad 2 , I love it but ,it's thinner and lighter but overall it's not far superior than the iPad 1 . Try abt or best buy for iPad deals :)

12. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'd go with the iPad 1st gen; save yourself some money. The 2 might be a bit better at some games, but it's not exactly a PS or Xbox anyway. You aren't using it for anything complicated, so don't invest too much in it now and start saving for something that's sure to be better down the line.

Rob

13. fritzov macrumors member

I would say go for ipad2, I got mine yesterday and I love. Surfing the web n this machine is a joy

14. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know what it is about Apple, but I am def ready to jump back after thinking I was done and moving on to Android.

Just having everything so polished really makes for a nice experience. :)

15. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

My vote is on iPad original.

You can snag some steals on CL btw.

16. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Before I had an iPad 2 I'd have recommend an iPad 1. Great price, specs and not that different to the 2nd gen. On paper it is great value for money.

Now I've been using iPad 2 for a couple of days. I can not recommend iPad 1. It's defiantly worth paying the extra cash. All of the little upgrades make a big difference. Don't buy it for the camera though. if your doing anything more demanding than FaceTime you'll probably be disappointed.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the front camera is better than the back camera?

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Because you're posting on the MacRumors forum??? I mean this is hardly an unbiased crowd here on the average.

Nevermind. i see you already acknowledged the bias, but that also means you might not get the most balanced reasons why an iPad is better than a Xoom.