HELP Me choose my first SSD PLZ~

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oojosheoo, Mar 29, 2011.

1. oojosheoo macrumors member

First things first, I've been researching for many months now and holding back on getting an SSD for my MBP 2010. Just because I wanted to see what Intel had for us. I've been debating on 2 different ones now.

Either the Intel X-25M-G3 120GB or OWC MEP 115GB. I understand the OWC WRITE SPEED is faster compared to the INTEL. But then again by reading threads I noticed INTEL is much more reliably than SF-1200.

I will use the optibay method by following this method:

http://automagisk.no/blog/2010/01/11/macbook-with-two-drives-160gb-ssd-640gb-hdd/

Final Question:

Would the updated SF-2000 be only SATA III? (6Gb/s)

I apologies if this thread is all over the place :confused:

2. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

in relation to your last question the updated sandforces with the sata III should be backwards compatible to sata II

3. bigfatdaddyo macrumors newbie

I recently bought SSD drives from OCZ and OWC, both have the firmware issue. Getting it resolved with OWC was very simple and easy, 1 call to tech support which they answered on the first couple of rings. OCZ customer service was terrible, I would never buy from them again, took 1 week, 2 phone calls and 5 spins to their email support system. The few dollars I may have saved was not worth my time for after the purchase when things go wrong. I used the data doubler from OWC, video and tools provided gave me all the confidence I could do it first time and correctly. Forget all the read/write speed stuff, the OWC drives are very good, don't get lost in the details.

4. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that! Seriously all the specs on paper gives me a headache.

5. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

iC. Would you say it will be worth waiting for the new SF on my MBP?

6. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What do you guys think a out the owc drives causing freeze ups during sleep or hibernation?

7. brentsg macrumors 68040

There are already like 4-6 active SSD threads ..

8. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, its not unique to OWC drives, and corrected via a Firmware update.

I will say that regardless, when you need support or advice, dealing with OWC has been nothing but pleasant.

9. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Yes and if you purchase a SSD now direct from OWC it will already have that firmware update applied on it (I asked them about this). I presume you could also make a note when you order that having that latest firmware update pre-installed on the drive is very important to you.

Personally I'm waiting hoping the prices for the SSDs will drop. Still too expensive per GB in my view.

I also think that with TRIM support coming in Lion that the optimal time to switch to a SSD would be after I update to that.