Help Me Choose new iMac (5k or refurb late 2013)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Geaux, May 20, 2015.

  1. Geaux macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    #1
    Little backstory: The night before the refresh I ordered a new late 2013 imac with i7, 8gb RAM, 4gb Nvidia, and 3tb Fusion drive. When I checked my order yesterday morning after the refresh (my model was removed from the site) and noticed they "upgraded" my order to a 5k i5, 8gb RAM, 4gb AMD and 3tb fusion. They kept all of my hardware the same except for the i7, downgraded to an i5. All for the same price I paid for the i7 late 2013 model.

    I called Apple and they offered me a few different options:
    -Keep the order as is (same price)
    -Cancel my order and reorder the new 5k with added i7 (which adds $250 more than I spent the night before) but receive that $250 as a credit to use in the Apple Store (minus buying a Watch)
    -Cancel my order and order a late 2013 refurb with same specs I ordered the night previous and it would be $230 less than what I originally paid


    I do photography as a hobby, but shoot a lot and edit in Lightroom, Photoshop and every now and then make a family video with the gopro for our vacations. I will also use this as a browser, email, youtube, netflix, etc.

    Reason I originally looked away from the 5k was that it was $200 more than it is today and the i7/295x heat/fan issues I read about on here.

    What should I do? Thanks in advance, I've been racking my brain since yesterday afternoon on what to do. Would have been so much easier if Apple would have upgraded me and kept my specs the same :/

    PS: I'm trying not to sound greedy because I really do appreciate them upgrading me to the 5k machine, its the i7 that I really wanted (or so I think)
     
  2. Geaux thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    #2
    Judging by responses, no one will really care, but decided to cancel the i5 retina that my order was switched to.

    Deciding between the late 2013 to save $230 or go with retina (matching specs) and spend 250 more but get that 250 as a credit towards future purchase.
     
  3. vashy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2015
    #3
    I hate Apple!

    So I had my order canceled with similar specs to yours and "upgraded" to the iMac 5k.

    After 4 hours on the phone with them, there was nothing they could do for me in terms of matching pricing or giving us the "free" upgrade to the i7 they promised me during the beginning of the conversation.

    All I got was apologies and that there was nothing they could do for me.

    I wish I even got the offer of $250 gift card.

    Ended up just sticking with the iMac 5K with i7 and the 295x, just need to make sure to download the program to run the fans cooler.
     
  4. Geaux thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2013
    #4
    So you decided like me to just go with the i7 and pay the extra?
     
  5. vashy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2015
    #5
    Yeah. It really wasn't that much more in the end. Just hated being lied to.
     
  6. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

    xmichaelp

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2012
    #6
    I would just keep the one they changed it too... You don't really need the i5 for that use. Either that or get the i7 retina.

    You will be glad you got the retina for photo work... Unless you're maxing out the GPU with games then you will be fine with noise.
     

Share This Page