Help me choose, please?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vampireszombies, Aug 14, 2012.

1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I've had a 16GB iPad 2 for a little time, but since it was right around announcement of the New iPad and financial reasons I decided to return it, plus I used up all the 16GB space :eek: - never happened to me on iPhone so I was surprised. So I'll be aiming for 32GB this time.

Now I'm trying to decide between these options:

- iPad 2 32GB WiFi - used like new from Amazon for about $480

- New iPad 32GB Wifi - Apple refurbished for about $595 included tax.

- iPad 2 64GB Wifi 3G AT&T - Apple refurbished for $595 included tax.

- iPad 2 32GB Wifi 3G AT&T - Apple refurbished for about $520 included tax.

My limit is about $600, but I'd love to keep it under or close to $500.
    Whats the smartest choice for the long run and price?
    Is the New iPad worth the extra $115?
    I'll probably never use the 3G option, but since its there it may add value if I decide to ever sell.

Thank you for the help :)

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i didnt think i was use the internet on my new ipad much, but having the lte (40-50 mbps down here) i use it a lot. The retina id gorgeous and im glad i went with it. I do a lot of reading on mine with ibooks and comics. Its great.

Just all depends on what you use it for.
    What are you wanting one for?

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Well if you are never planning on using 3G there is little sense in spending the money on it, when selling it on you would never make back the extra you paid for it in the first place meaning you're just wasting money.

Between the new iPad and iPad 2 remember they benchmark near enough identically, and the majority of hardware improvements in the newer model are based on driving the screen. The ipad 2 is noticeably lighter, but the screen on the new iPad blows the other away. if i were you i'd consider these things before making a decision.

Personally, id go for the new iPad wifi only

4. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

Definitely web browsing and simple note taking, games here and there.
    I guess I really have to go to the store and check out the Retina and see if the extra money is worth it.
    Yeah it is possible that the 3G service would come in handy some day, but probably not now.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah just do that! and you could even purchase one, and take advantage of the 14 day return period. I think target does 45 days or something

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Retina display is definitely worth it. Since you don't need 3G, New iPad 32GB refurb is your best option.

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

3G is already outdated technology; it's all about LTE now. Which is to say, if you don't have a use for it, don't buy it. I don't think it's going to add that much value if you ever decide to sell it.

What it really comes down to is storage space vs. the retina display on the iPad 3. You know your needs best on this one. If you really need the space and can't think of ways around it, and if you're OK with the non-retina screen, then the choice is obvious.

Final thought: don't worry too much about which will be the longest-lasting. Realistically speaking, you're going to have this device for 4-5 years before you upgrade again. It's not cheap, but it's also not a huge commitment. Buy what seems to fit your needs the best, use it and don't look back, and when it's time to upgrade, consider where the device fell short of your expectations and make sure that the upgrade addresses those.

8. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

I think the camera on the new iPad is an often overlooked nice feature. Even though you likely won't be taking many photos or much video with it, those few times you do want to share a quick shot, it's nice having a decent looking image.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you not need it cellular is wasted money. Refurb. new iPad is the way to go! (Can't beat that screen!)

And buy with a Visa to double your warranty on it.

10. irDigital0l Guest

ipad 3 32GB wi-fi only

brand new from apple for $600

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

I didn't think I would use my LTE that much but I find I use it a lot because i travel. I've had all three versions.

1). The iPad 2 is nice. I don't think the screen is that much off from the three but I do think the extra memory on my iPad 3 is worth the upgrade.

2). Decide how much storage you need. I travel a lot and found that 32 G just wasn't enough because I put a bunch of movies on it. This depends on your use. If you can sync often or don't anticipate watching movies/TV then 32 is probably ok

3). I used to buy refurbs all the time. In fact my first iPad was a refurb and it's still going strong (my grandkids use it) so there is a nice savings there if money is a consideration.

For me, the bump in RAM makes the ipad 3 the best option if everything else is equal. For many others the screen is the selling point.

Good luck with your decision.

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Get the New iPad and tether from your phone for data. With the new Shared plans from AT&T tethering is free. I agree 16GB's is to small, it's killing me waiting for the iPad 4 to upgrade as I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling apps.

13. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Do you have an iPhone? You could always try to Personal Hotspot if you need internet on the go?

I'd say new iPad WiFi only would be a good choice. I own one and it's brilliant.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I would go with iPad 2 32GB wifi from Amazon because the price is very important to me and the New iPad is bit heavy than iPad 2. I can wait until iPad 4 with thinner and new small USB port. :apple:

Also I don't feel like holding new iPad with warm on the back…Apple will fix it with next iPad 3

15. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I would get the 32gb New iPad. The display is important to me....the minuscule difference in weight and the possibility that it might get warm are nonissues or me.

16. DSTOFEL, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Another option: If it live near a Microcenter, you can pick up a new 32 iPad3 wifi only for $560 (tax is extra). The new 16GB wifi only is $460. This is the only authorized dealer I'm aware of selling iPads at a discount!

I bought a new iPad 2 16Gb wifi only there earlier this year for $360. It's great! They still have this price as well! Personally, I'm holding out for an update to the iPad 3 before I upgrade (looking for: lighter, thinner, cooler and faster charge time).