Help me Choose... Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TJunkers, Mar 25, 2009.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I posted this in the graphic design section but only had 2 replies... Sorry for repost, but I need to choose something soon.

----------------------

I do a lot of graphic design work; I use Adobe CS4's Master Collection and I mean I use it all. I am running it on my MacBook Pro and it's been great but I want to get a serious machine; aka mac pro.

I also use Final Cut Studio 2 once in a while for Final Cut Pro, Motion and Color specifically.

What machine do you think I should look at. I'm looking at getting a machine that will last me a long time.

I want one of the current Mac Pro's. Reason being is used / refurbished machines anger me due to many many problems I have had in the past.

So what are your thoughts on the configuration. You think the "low end" Mac Pro should work find considering I will rarely, if ever, use the power of an 8-core machine?

-Pre Thanks!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think you've answered you're own question. ;)

If you don't need an Octo core version, get a Quad. Base the clock on you're budget, and don't forget to include things like memory, drives, and any peripherals into the cost.

If you need a lot of memory, the Octo would actually be a better way to go perhaps, as the cost gets really close with 12 or 16GB of RAM. :eek: ;) Check the math carefully, as it may end bringing you into the realm of Octo territory (same memory capacities) anyway. ;)

It might be better for growth, but you're the only one who can answer that.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think an iMac would do what you're describing, especially if you're running it on a MacBook Pro with no issues.

If what you want is a Mac Pro, I can't imagine you having any trouble with the "low end" model.

4. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

It sounds like you need a work horse, and a machine that'll (hopefully) last you a long time.
    Because of the applications you're using, you'll need a very good graphics card and plenty of RAM.

1st of all, I suggest you go for the 8-Core, as the RAM is expandable, (and the most powerful processor) much more than the Quad, so who knows what will happen in the future, and you don't want to have to keep upgrading every couple of years.
    I've been very happy with my G4 Tower Dual for almost 7 years, it's never crashed or frozen once, and I'm just about to upgrade...

So, go for the 8-Core, and then go for as much RAM and the best Graphics Card (and the most powerful processor) on the market, that is all within your budget.
    Don't go crazy and start selling your stuff, or pimping out your Boyfriend/Girlfriend on the street, doing cheap tricks, when you know you can earn more money selling your own rear!!? ;)

Also, look into buying more Ram, extra HD and a Graphics Card else where (3rd Party) cause it'll be cheaper, but then I guess you know that?

Good luck and have fun...

;)