Help Me Choose the Right MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ladydub, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ladydub macrumors newbie

I'm shopping for a MBP for my mom. It's her first apple product and she'll be using it for her real estate business. She'll primarily be using office products, internet/email, iphoto and will heavily use Acrobat Pro.

I'm looking to get the most bang for the $$ keeping her needs in mind. My main concerns are longevity and durability (why I'm not considering the Air). Regardless of which model I choose, I will upgrade to 8GB of ram after we get the machine. She likes the 13" size, but would consider a 15".

Given her relatively simple needs, I think this refurbished model would be fine...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

But is there any reason to go with more of a machine? Is this model a much better value? http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD314LL/A

Based on what I've read of the new 2012 mbp, it doesn't seem like it's worth the extra money.

I certainly don't think she needs to go with the retina display, although I'll mention that she does have blindness in one eye and needs glasses for the other, so if the retina display is considerably "easier" on the eyes, it could be worth the investment over the long run.

Money is not really an issue, but there's no reason to purchase more than she needs.

Thanks for your help!!! :)

2. ladydub thread starter macrumors newbie

...now that i'm thinking about the "eye strain" issue and given that she'll be using this computer all day everyday..maybe I should go with the matte screen in the 15" model. seems like a big jump in price just to get a matte screen, but might be worth it given the circumstances??

3. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

All of the current and last year models wil run those programs easily. Go to a store and look at the different sizes, she what she likes best, and get the 2011 model of it.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Save the money and go with the refurb. The AG screen can reduce strain depending on her work environment.