Help me choose where to purchase MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SteelBlueTJ, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I need some help trying to decide on where to purchase a new 11" base Macbook Air. I've done my research and narrowed my options down to the following two scenarios

1. Order from B&H for $949, no tax, free standard shipping (up to 8 days), plus receive 50% off Applecare ($95) if purchased at same time. Total: $1044. Now the shipping is what is holding me back. I can upgrade it to UPS ground and have it in 2-3 days for $16.

2. Pick one up at my local Best Buy store for $949 + tax = $1005. But no Applecare. I would have to pay full price later on if I decide to get it. Is it really worth it for a MBA? Apple lists it for $249 which is kind of steep for a warranty. I guess I could look for a deal on Applecare on eBay later on. The one thing nice about going this route is I would have it same day and not have to wait up to a week for shipping.

What do you think? Thanks for any advice.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with B&H with the cheap applecare - no brainer in my mind. I'd not worry about waiting a few days for it, you've waited this long whats a few more days.

3. jefbond macrumors member

Another option

You could also purchase from the Apple Education Online Store. They do not do any verification for whether or not you are a student; just type in your zip code and click on a school and you're qualified. You'll get $50 off a brand new MacBook Air and $66 off AppleCare. Granted, it's not half-off for the APP, but it's still a decent amount. PLUS, free shipping, and it almost always comes FedEx, which personally I believe is much better than UPS.

On top of this, since it's from Apple directly, you don't have to worry about having any issues. And in the rare case you do, you've got the Genius Bar to help, along with the ability to do an exchange/full refund in store :)

4. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Apple has a refurbished store to buy from; if you buy from there, you might be able to save enough money to be able to afford AppleCare more easily.