help me choose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wesellboxes, Oct 17, 2011.

1. wesellboxes macrumors newbie

Hi people of the interwebz. New to the forums and only posting for one reason really - I need help choosing my macbook.

I need a new laptop and Im pretty much set on a Macbook but I really don't know which one is going to suit my needs best. I think a Pro is the way forward but what to choose? Main things I will be using it for are.

• Everyday use - net surfing, mail, music, syncing, streaming videos etc
    • Logic
    • Some gaming, nothing too heavy just Football Manager and maybe the occasional Civ 5 game when I have time, not too fussed on high end graphics as long as they run smoothly and looks OKish....
    • Playing around on Photoshop, I like to be creative :)

My initial idea is a refurbished 15" 2.2ghz quad then throw in 8gb ram and a 1tb hdd to future proof the thing, maybe somewhere down the line I'll throw in an sdd but not really sure?? Ideally I want it to last as long as possible but do I really need to spend this much to achieve what I want?

Fire away!

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Some gaming and photoshop makes me lean towards a 15" MBP for you. Ram + SSD would make the system really scream and would last you at least a few years before you'd be itching for the latest and greatest.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its called click on the buyers guide for buying macbooks at the top of the dam forum

4. pingfan59 macrumors member

Next time, do not click on the topic, if you do not have anything useful to post. The buyer's guide basically says whether or not to purchase one at this time, nothing about which model is best for which user.

This is not another should I wait or should I buy post. so calm down.

To the OP : I purchased a 15" MBP in August. I upped the ram to 8gb. I use it for school, productivity software, surfing, and some gaming. It plays WoW and SCII easily with smooth graphics. I think that this size is a good middle ground for portability, yet a display that isn't too small and has great graphics. Would recommend going for the higher models that have the 1gb graphics card which is the 2.2ghz that your interested in.

Also, I would wait until November to purchase if you can as there should be an update to the line (just a processor speed bump, but hey every ghz counts)

Hope this helped.

5. eternalife macrumors regular

I've got the same machine and love it. You may want to wait a few more weeks to get a good deal (if you are looking for a used or refurbished). When the new models hit people will be desperate to sell their 'old' machines to satisfy their need for the 'latest and greatest'. Based on your documented need the 15" is a good machine. I wouldn't go any less than that.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

whats wrong with the base model?

7. pingfan59 macrumors member

I would say that the graphics being 256 vs 1gb, processor speed 2.0 vs 2.2, and the 500gb hdd vs 750gb. This was worth the extra couple hundred using the education store pricing making the macbook 2.2ghz, $1999.

I think the lack of graphics memory would limit adobe or gaming or the functionality of programs such as parallels if needed in the future from what I have seen when using them.

Of course the base model is good but i would get maxed graphics as that usually cant be upgraded later like ram, hdd, etc.