Help Me Choose

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RMSko, Jul 1, 2012.

  1. RMSko macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2010
    Okay, I know this is a MBA forum so there may be some bias, but I'm hoping I can get some good objective advice. I'm trying to choose between the following two models:

    1. MacBook Air with 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and an i7 2.0
    2. MacBook Pro with retina display

    I will primarily be using the laptop to browse and edit documents, i.e., I don't think I'll ever be doing any video editing or even any gaming on the laptop. I will also mostly be using the laptop in my house, although I may travel with it a couple of times a year. I know that I really don't even need the 8 GB or RAM, but I'm definitely going to go with that. Also, the extra 256 SSD is a nice to have, but not critical. I know I could go with the MBA with the 256 SSD, but since I'm prepared to spend the $2200/$2300, I'd like the difference in SSD size to be a consideration for this choice. I know this is an extremely personal decision, but any thoughts would still be greatly appreciated.
  2. pandaguy macrumors member

    Jun 29, 2012
    These two lines make me suggest the MacBoook Air. Go to a Best Buy or Apple Store and you will see the very considerable difference between the two. I mean, it's not necessarily that the MBP with retina display is ridiculously's just very large compared to the MBA. If you want occasional portability, I would go with the Air. Plus, you won't even need the super high res display that much based on what you have said.
  3. ixodes macrumors 601


    Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
    1) True confessions, I'm a Mac Laptop Addict.

    2) I have every current MBA, MBP & MBPr (all sizes) in BTO maxed out configurations.

    3) Why? See number 1.

    My suggestion for you is the MBA, you've specified.
    Hands down, no hesitation.
  4. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    For your use a retina will be insane overkill and a $1000 difference. Air all the way
  5. jennb macrumors newbie

    Jan 10, 2009
    Tough choice

    I started with the base retina and ended up returning it after 7 days for the MBA 2.0/i7/8GB/512GB.

    I came from a 2009 MBA and really loved its footprint. I used it in my lap 99% of the time. The retina's footprint (not so much its weight) was just a little too big for me.

    The downside is that I do miss that screen. (If I lean far enough away from my MBA's screen, I can pretend it is a retina screen. Well, no not really.) That screen is what I think most people will miss the most, unless they are really using the graphics & cpu power. (It sounds like you're not necessarily going to be benefit from that power if you go the retina route.)

    I really wanted that retina screen, but I wanted the perfect footprint of the MBA more. It is a really tough choice.

    Try to use both in your typical work/home environment if you can, even if it means returning one.

    Good luck with the decision!
  6. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2010
    Wow - you guys are great! I didn't expect to get such quick definitive advice - thanks so much. My gut was also the MBA and so this confirms it. That said, for me it's only a $100 difference not $1000 since the Air I'm going to go with is only $100 less than the Pro-r.

    BTW - knowing myself, depending on what comes out next year, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a "one year purchase" for me. I'm not sure that should affect my decision though?
  7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030


    Jun 10, 2010
    Why not just go with the i7/8/256 MBA? If you don't need the extra space of the 512SSD you can get the smaller config for a good bit cheaper than the Retina MBP.

    I bought that same model from B&H on Tuesday (arrived Friday) and it is great. Out the door it was $1815 and that included AppleCare and a free copy of Parallels. No sales tax makes a fairly big difference.
  8. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2010
    I was thinking of going that route. I actually have to purchase at Apple b/c I'm working with an $1800 store credit and so I won't be able to go with B&H (I love B&H BTW). Also, it's hard to explain, but due to my deal with Apple, I would be saving $100 on the extra 256 SSD ($400 instead of $500). Agreed $400 isn't small change, and since I have and use many external HDs it may not be worth it, but then I keep telling myself it's only $400 and it never hurts to have so much extra storage. Hmmm . . .
  9. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2010
    I ended up keeping the 512 GB SSD. While I probably don't need all the HD space and could've saved $400, it's nice to have and since my MBA has both the Samsung display and Samsung HD, after reading all the threads on those issues, I think I'm better off keeping what I have.

Share This Page