Help ME Chosse A display plz!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maugustyn, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Maugustyn macrumors newbie

Im in the process of getting a mac pro and all i need now is a monitor.
    I ant one with an HD resolution to use for some video edit with final cut but as a hobby more then for money and that is not that expensive.
    any suggestion or replies will help

2. schreck macrumors regular

Westinghouse and Envision are the best.

I'm kidding. Samsung, LG, Dell. They all make some decent displays with HD res. that are still fairly inexpensive. But they'll have crappy TN panels. They're fine; better response, better contrast but poor colour. Numbers don't tell the whole story here.

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Samsung 245BW

I'm running a Samsung 245BW at 19200x1200 and it's awesome.

Great picture quality, great brightness. Good looking chassis too.

4. PipeDream macrumors newbie

I was looking around for ages as well, and decided to go with the Dell 3007wfp-hc which cost me $1200 on ebay. The Dell 2407wfp-hc is an extremely good monitor as well and cost around $600. They are both capable of 1080p but the 2407 has a buffet of inputs compared to the one dvi-d on the 3007.:(
    I hear there is a 2408 coming out, but i think that will bill in the $1000 region too.

Let me know if you need more info.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I currently have a Dell 2005fpw and like it a lot, esp. the gamut of inputs. I would consider the Dell 2407 or 2408 but would prefer a glossy screen after getting a 24" iMac at work recently. I don't expect either to come close to the iMac, but what do people here think of the Gateway FHD2400 or the HP W2408h? I would prefer the Gateway b/c of the myriad of input choices (so I can hook up my game consoles), but the HP may be a better display overall. I really don't want to spend much more than either of these cost (currently $500-$550).

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I got the FHD2400 and am loving it! After turning the brightness all the way down and using shades to dim the screen some more, it is fantastic. I use the Alu iMac 24" at work all day and this Gateway at home and, while the Gateway is not quite an equal (it does use a TN panel after all), it is still very nice for home use. I love the myriad of inputs too, and the case design is very classy, almost like Apple designed it. I ran pixel tests and cannot find any stuck or bad pixels at all. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.