Help me compare these two models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dapork, Nov 2, 2016.

1. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

So I'm buying in Greece from a retail seller (no Apple store or even Amazon here), and I'd appreciate it if you guys could let me know what you think.

Basically, I have a choice between a mediocre new MBP 15" and a souped up rMBP 15". The new one would require more accessories and ultimately cost a bit more, but maybe it's worth it for the specs?:

new MBP 15"

Intel Core i7 quad-core 2,6GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3,5GHz)
    • 16GB of memory 2133MHz
    • SSD PCIe at 512GB
    • Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB of memory
    • Backlit keyboard
    • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID
    TOTAL: € 3.279,00

---------------- OR ----------------

Previous rMBP 15"

Intel Quad Core i7 2.8Ghz
    • 16GB of memory 1600MHz DDR3L
    • SSD PCIe at 512GB
    • Intel Iris Pro, AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of memory
    • 2 Thunderbolt ports
      HDMI, MagSafe 2 power port
      2 USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
    TOTAL: € 3.293,12

---------------------

I might be missing a few specs. I had to mix and match. The rMBP is actually available, while the newer MBP is an estimation I gathered from apple.it. (the VAT tax in Italy and Greece is more or less the same)

For the newer MBP I would have to buy a mouse and a USB-USB-C adaptor, which would set me back another €130 or so.

----------------------

When it comes down to it, the price of a souped up rMBP and a mediocre 2016 Pro, the price is the same. I'd be getting the new specs for the 2016 model, but only 2,6 GHz (given my budget).

In my last thread I was swayed by those who suggested I go for the older model, but given this comparison I'm not so sure.

I basically work using Logic Pro X. For the 2016 MBP I'd need the adaptor to plug in my current USB audio interface (can't yet afford a thunderbolt one). I also wanna do some medium gaming. I'm guessing Bioshock Infinite would work fine on both of these models.

Given I use Logic and want to do some mid-level gaming, what do you all think?

I realised I posted a similar thread before, but given this information I need some more input and thought I should rephrase it. If the moderates wish they can delete the older thread.

2. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Same price? The 2016 version for sure. Thinner & lighter, better screen, and the GPU is nearly twice more powerful. Also, a choice of Space Gray.

The only time you want the older version is when you don't want to carry extra dongles and rely on those ports. And when you don't wanna spend $400 more.

3. dapork thread starter macrumors regular

dapork

Can someone in the EU tell me if there's something off with those prices? Other EU countries seemed to have dropped the rMBP from their Apple site, so I can't compare prices of the rMBP's. In Greece they're only now listing the prices for the new 2016 models, but I wonder if the rMBP price is meant to drop more. Is it odd that a souped up rMBP is the same as a medium 2016 15"? Can someone else in Europe tell me if that's the correct price for a new 2015 rMBP?

And to repeat the question, given that the price comes out to more or less the same, which of these two machines would run Logic better and play mid-level games (like Bioshock Infinite) better?