Help me connect new MacBook Pro as a Display for my old MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maylo, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Maylo macrumors newbie

Here is the challenge:
    My old MacBook Pro works well, but the display is pretty much dead. I can sort of see dark ghosts, enough to search or close windows. I bought a new MacBook Pro and would like to connect it to the old one as a display, so I can finish organizing files I need from the old computer before copying them in Target Mode to the new comouter. How do I connect them? I need to add that I have already purchased the Firewire cable which allows me to connect them in the Target Mode. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use Screen Sharing, enable it on the old Mac and connect via the new Mac to it (you need to be on the same wired or wireless network).

Btw, you can use Target Disk Mode to sort your files too, via booting from the old Mac by holding down the OPTION key on the new Mac after you pressed the power button on the new Mac and have the old Mac already connected via Target Disk Mode and the old Mac is at least running 10.6.7 (thus it has all drivers for the 2011 MBPs).

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not doable natively unless using some kind of screen sharing over a network. A TV or external display would probably serve you much better, no?

4. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Yup. Your options, from easiest to hardest.
    1. Use target disk mode to BOOT from the hard drive on the old mac (if it works due to relative age of systems)
    2. Apple's Screen Sharing (that includes something like iChat screen sharing, which is pretty great)
    3. Some other form of VNC screen sharing

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Why not just buy a cheap external hard drive case from OWC and take out your old hard drive and hook it up that way? They're $20.

6. Maylo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you all who tried to help. It took me a while to dig up that little white connector for the external monitor, but three boxes full of cables, old LaCies and Iomegas later, and there it was, exactly where I put it five years ago. I finally hooked up an external display to the old laptop, organized my files, then started it in target mode with the new computer and transferred them. And it all worked out well. I love the screen of the new computer, so crisp and clear, almost like an iPhone.