Help me conquer an addiction...[RANT]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Dec 21, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Help me conquer an addiction... to the internet.

Now I am not completely obsessed with the internet. I CAN go by not using it. But when I get the chance, I will and then I don't realize when to stop.

I am a 14 year old guy, with interests in photography, music, and most of all Graphic Design (i suck but its cool) and video production. Thats why I use mac.

But recently I have noticed that the Internet is stepping in the way of my
    hobbys, and school work. I have a facebook which I use a lot but throughly not enjoy, just use it to contact people. I waste most of my time on adium and here on macrumors. I know I need to stop, but really I don't know how.

My dad has put time restrictions on the computer, but just out of curiousty I have found a way around each one of them and he knows.
    Restrictions just make me want to break them.

What I need is self control.

The reason I actually want this is to prove to myself and my parents I am responsible. Responsible enough to buy a newer mac that will help me persue my media oriented dreams, as well as do wall in school

Know I know what some people are going to say. I might get flamed here, by people saying there is a simple answer by just getting off my butt. But seriously its not that easy. When I am home, I find there is nothing else to do but sit here or read. I often go out to shibuya when I get the chance but the times i can't I get bored and sit here. I don't know where to start.

I suppose what I am asking is what I can do instead of the computer when I am at home. I don't enjoy gaming or tv, which is good since those are just as bad/worse. But there is nothing at home vaguely entertaining.

sorry if this sounds stupid, I may delete this post as I am coming across as weak and desperate and you can't really do anything for me! :D

Thanks

2. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

How about learning to play a musical instrument? It's entertaining, time consuming and mentally stimulating. Plus if you choose the guitar or keyboard you can hook it up to your Mac and combine two interests :)

Oh and your friends will think you're cool and ladies will want to get with you if you get good at it too ;)

3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Haha I have been playin the drums for about a year now, but no longer have a drum kit. lack of space. Thankyou for your help. :):)

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

trust me OP, i know exactly how you feel!!!

from about your age until 20 months ago i was an internet nazi. i used it pretty much 20/7, doing anything and everything!

the best thing that has ever happened to me was my girlfriend, she saved me! once i met her she pulled me away lol, shes a saviour!

i think you should venture out into the world, go to a few parties (not nerdy ones!), talk to people and see what you find.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

It's important to choose the right instrument, the clarinet just doesn't cut it! Trust me :D

On topic though, it seems that boredom is your main problem so you just need to spend some more time on your existing hobbies, or take up some new ones.

You could also try and get a few odd jobs doing some graphic design stuff. That would keep you busy and off the internet and will look good on your CV later on. There are websites out there where people are just looking for small odd jobs (usually not paid) that anyone can pick up. I've only seen this for programming (as I work in IT) but I am sure the same exist for other disciplines if you can find them.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That can be arranged.

[​IMG]

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

use TIMG :p jks. that room looks like my old classroom!

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Did you go to mafia school?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

bahahahaha no lol, didnt know they had the mafia in australia :p not THAT redily available anyway.

11. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Calling me a nerd!? :D
    thank god but I am not that nerdy :p

amen to that.

o_O what can you do (that doesn't involve bats?)

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah not calling you a nerd, maybe a geek :p just get out and about!!

drums are amazing. did some recording yesterday, hopefully my guitarist will get his recording done soon!!! im waiting for my Ahead Drumsticks to hurry up and arrive, ordered them the other day.

13. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

For a short time, don't even GET on the computer, unless its for school work, and when finished, turn it off. It takes time to break habits. Also, find a substitute for the time you would spend on the computer. A hike, fishing, ect.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'd recommend something creative - but with anything, you have to follow up that initial interest with a dedication and commitment. You'll enjoy it much more in the end if you can stick to it for a while to really know if you like it. My suggestions:

1. Get an acoustic guitar. Takes up a small amount of space, you can haul it anywhere and play and it will provide hours of amusement. I took lessons for a year and half and know enough to noodle around comfortably with friends, but I was a bit slow.

2. Take up sketching. Get a book by Danny Gregory and you'll never be bored again.

3. Or try writing (which can take quite a bit of practice to actually get so you can just write your emotions on paper without even thinking about it).

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Absolutely, unequivocally false. I've been with my girlfriend for two years and four months on Christmas day, and I have basically the exact same problem the OP has. When I get home, I just sit down on the computer and do stuff like this.

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You could set up another account for yourself with Parental Controls enabled and set limits on apps & hours of use. If you can just resist the temptation to login to the master or Administrator account, you'll be on the way to imposing some self-discipline. The point is that you'll be the one setting self-imposed limits, and you'll be less likely to break them (as that's breaking a promise to yourself, not the parental unit).

Create other routines in your life that will take time away from the screen. Commit to reading a new book every week (maybe at the library). Go for walks. Spend a designated day visiting a new museum or temple. Take the train to Kamakura and visit the Buddha. Get a digicam and take it with you everywhere and take photos of absolutely everything, and spend your computer hours cleaning them up, organizing them, and creating a library. Spend the hours you do have online planning things to do offline.

Create more value to your life outside than on the Web.

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Guess times have changed. When I was 14 - 24 would much rather a roll in the hay instead of breathing. I find it hard to believe when you first met your girlfriend you wanted to sit in front of a computer and not be with her. Two years and four months later, understood.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

JNB is correct.

You are just running away from life.

You have to get out there, and seize it by the throat.

20. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I second this!!! I had the same problem until someone said "hey you need to do something else" and now I play guitar!!!

21. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

There is nothing wrong using computers a lot, but if it is interfering with other aspects of your life then there might be a problem.

If you are a forienger living in Japan you might start a blog about that or fnd a way to creatively share your interests in a blog or a photo or video blog. If computers are really taking too much time then join an organized sport. Get your nerdy butt in shape!!!

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

23. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I didn't say I liked spending time on the computer more than spending time with my girlfriend. In fact, I've spent about 15 hours with her the past two days. However, when I'm at my house, having a girlfriend doesn't change my internet habits in the least bit, and I would be willing to wager that the OP, if he "gets a girlfriend" (I don't know if he has one now or not), is not going to spend every waking moment with her, so the problem is not "solved" with getting a girlfriend.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im in the same situation as you, however getting a girlfriend has 'cured' me somewhat. i was an internet nazi, i was posting like 50 posts a day on these forums haha. now its more like 20 :p. but anyway, now that i have my girlfriend i am out and about more, i am meeting more people, i am living a life that i never knew existed. sure i still am on the computer, but only mainly when she is on it too or when im not around her (which isnt that often!!). so anyway, to me it has made me less of a computer freak ahaha

25. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

You guys are automaticly assuming that I don't get out at all...but I do. The problem is when I come back home.

Most days (Except yesterday) during this holiday I go out with friends to shibuya and get home late in the evening. But then when I get home, kerplut straight onto the computer.

I don't mind using the computer for creative stuff, but its the internet I wana kill.

Thanks for all the help *)