Help me convert this video format...(using Handbrake)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Jul 23, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I have been all about converting DVD's for storing on my hard drive(s) for not only back up but for playback on things like my iPhone 4, iPad and in the past my PSP. Recently I went back and looked at some of my older stuff I encoded and after being introduced to 1080p I can't have it any other way :D :D okay 720p~ is okay :D :p but I've been hunting down Blue ray Mkv's and even raw files from sources of the movies I have but in the crappy DVD 480p format.

I recently obtained an Mkv file for Man on Fire one of my favorite movies. Specs are 1920x1080 resolution, 5.41GB's, 24fps frame rate, audio is AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1CH Surround (448kbs), bitrate is AVG 4 Mbps, codec is H.264, etc. Won't play in VLC and Handbrake says it can't handle the format so I'm stumped so I figured I would post here. It plays in roxio toast player. It appears like video file and audio file are seperate which IMO is a pain in the ass...BUT I really would appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction on how to combine them into one Mkv file if possible if not than the next best format so I can convert it back to Mkv retaining the resolution and audio in one file...thanks...I took some screen shots for more clarification...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...just as a note I did post this on HandBrakes forums as well...

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

MPEGSTREAMCLIP might help you with converting it. Hope that helps.

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm I gave that a try with no luck :( I've never had Handbrake ever give me trouble...I really hope the file is good I mean it plays in one player...

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Does it open in VLC? Then you should be able to transcode it in VLC... even though it is not the best suitable software for transcoding.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It does sound like it could be a muxing issue.

• Download MkvToolnix
    • Add the MKV
    • Add the DTS file
    • Start Muxing!
    Then try that in VLC and handbrake, you'll have DTS as the second audio track which you can toggle in VLC (and you can select the track to use for encoding in handbrake).

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Alright thanks! I wasn't able to add both in Handbrake and I figured VLC would look for the file...I'll try that either tonight or tomorrow and report back...in the process of converting Source Code (BlueRay) down to 1GB for my iPhone 4. Side note, when encoding video when your computer gets really warm like 190ºF is that okay? I've heard its fine but I usually put it in my bed room with the air conditioner on full blast I'm just concerned since this encoding will take allot longer than usual..

7. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm nothing with MkvToolnix...stumped..oh well. I'll update if anything changes.