Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
whatever you pick it is fine... because once you chosen the 11", you will missed the 13", and vice versa.

11" good to carry around, you will enjoy carrying it around. But when you working on it, you just will wish it is a 13"...

13" is good when you using it using it, but when you start carrying it around, you will still feel its the burden and you will regret that you not getting the 11". But when you using it, please tell yourself luckily you get the 13"...

it will never end...

mtom12

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
This thread makes it very complicated.

I ended up with the 11 and i'm still not sure I made the right choice.

I had a netbook of this size for my last system and I really enjoyed the form factor so I went with it again on the Apple. Now I read about everyone writing about the text being hard to read and all that and its making me double question my choice.

The 11 inch air is basically so light its weightless.

I wanted it for a lounge laptop as a secondary system so I felt it was the best call for that reason

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
IF the difference in weight between the 13" and the 11" get's to you, where were you in the age of 5-6+ lbs laptops? Must have never travelled with them.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
IF the difference in weight between the 13" and the 11" get's to you, where were you in the age of 5-6+ lbs laptops? Must have never travelled with them.

Oh I had 5-6lb laptops. I usually had a second bag with me back then. The weight difference between Air models is not huge but noticeable having had both.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
In my opinion, and as confirmed by most people stated usage plans, an iPad would do most jobs better than the 11" MBA. Its cheapwr, lighter, longee battery life, and a sharper screen. Only area where it lacks are specialized apps.

However, for doing concrete work, 13" provides q larger screen which is a must for working on the laptop for more than an hour or two.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
In my opinion, and as confirmed by most people stated usage plans, an iPad would do most jobs better than the 11" MBA. Its cheapwr, lighter, longee battery life, and a sharper screen. Only area where it lacks are specialized apps.

However, for doing concrete work, 13" provides q larger screen which is a must for working on the laptop for more than an hour or two.

It is very hard to declare this a hard, fast rule. Many people work for hours on the 11" screen without issues. And there are still many things an iPad can't do that you need a "real" computer for. It just depends on people's tastes, needs, and budgets.

That's why there are different models. Different strokes for different folks. One is not necessarily "better" than the other unless you are discussing it in the context of specific requirements.

For example, the 11" is "better" at fitting in my cargo pants pocket. The 13" just doesn't fit. :cool:

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma

The difference between a laptop and a Mac has been covered in countless threads. You are stating your opinion but I see nothing in this thread that proves or confirms that an iPad does "most jobs" better than an 11" Air. And for what tasks exactly? iPads have well noted limitations for working with photos, videos and even word processing. Have you ever tried to use Endnote with Pages on an iPad or run into missing fonts that change your formatting? Any student can tell you that iPads are severely limited in online learning environments like Blackboard or D2L. That is a problem of web design more than anything but nevertheless, a Mac is better for that. iPads are great, even for serious work in many cases, but they are a long way from replacing a Mac.

Why is a 13" screen a must for "concrete work"? For you maybe it is. There are countless people who use 11" Airs throughout the day for "concrete work" without cursing the gods that they don't have those extra few inches of screen space.

----------

It is very hard to declare this a hard, fast rule.

You would think at some point in these threads, people would get that and stop trying to tell people that own X model that they are somehow misguided or don't know what they are missing or should replace their Air with an iPod shuffle and spiral notebook or some such thing.

When a poster is looking for buying recommendations, it's best for people to stick to what they know--machines they've owned. Why do you like it or not like it? How does it fit or not fit what you use a computer for? That sort of thing.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Well I have owned a 10" laptop and the iPad was superior to in it most respects other than being able to run windows, Excel, etc. however, given that I need something portable that I can use for a few hours at a time, the 13" is a more natural choice since all the pro ape tend to benefit from larger screen. I just find that the 11" is a compromise between the two. For basic needs and quick checking the mail etc, iPad is better. For serious work, 13" is better.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I have had all the devices. I will eventually get the iPad mini since I gave my regular iPad away.

Cyber735

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
Okay here's my situation,

Initially I was going to just get the 11" 4gb ram, but seeing as it was going to be my primary computer I'm trying to decide between the 11" 8gb ram and the 13" 8gb ram.

I want this to last me a few years, so 8gb of ram is a must, especially considering I can't upgrade it later.

I had planned to use my tv as a dock (via vga) with the 11 inch, but I'm worried that it's too small for work...I mean just look at the size difference

DSC_4260.jpg

I'm currently using a 3 year old 15 inch windows piece of crap, and I don't know if I can work on an 11 inch machine.

Having said that, just look how beautiful it is!
macbook_air_11inch_2012_35330105_004_610x436.JPG

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in heat and fans....there's nothing worse than a hot laptop on your lap with loud whizzing fans!

It's so hard to decide, I'm literally 50/50. 1 minute I'm all set to get the 11 inch, the next I want the 13 inch. Bear in mind the 11 inch 8gb ram was already stretching my budget!

What do you think?

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

Initially I was going to just get the 11" 4gb ram, but seeing as it was going to be my primary computer I'm trying to decide between the 11" 8gb ram and the 13" 8gb ram.

I want this to last me a few years, so 8gb of ram is a must, especially considering I can't upgrade it later.

I had planned to use my tv as a dock (via vga) with the 11 inch, but I'm worried that it's too small for work...I mean just look at the size difference

I'm currently using a 3 year old 15 inch windows piece of crap, and I don't know if I can work on an 11 inch machine.

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in heat and fans....there's nothing worse than a hot laptop on your lap with loud whizzing fans!

It's so hard to decide, I'm literally 50/50. 1 minute I'm all set to get the 11 inch, the next I want the 13 inch. Bear in mind the 11 inch 8gb ram was already stretching my budget!

What do you think?

IF you are constantly travelling AND need to do some serious work while on the road, THEN get the 11". However, if you are only moving the laptop around the house or going to a coffee shop, then I would go for 13" since the screen real estate will benefit you more in the long run that slightly more portability.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011

What do you think?

I have a 13" Macbook Air (2012, 8GB Ram) and I got my wife the 11" Air (2012, 4GB Ram)...we both have noticed that the 11" gets slightly more hotter than the 13", it maybe because of the smaller surface area and so the heat cannot dissipate as easily...but we both agree it gets hotter faster than the 13".

Its definitely not really hot, just slightly hot - if you get a plastic/rubber cover you most likely wont feel it much.

- Regards to the overall question 11" vs 13" - I think 13" is the sweet spot unless you move around extremely often.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008

What do you think?

If it's going to be your main computer then better get the 13", do you need the 8gb ram though? What's stopping you from buying the Macbook Pro/Retina instead?

I have an 11" which I chose because of it's portability, I was working full-time and doing classes at the same time. I love how small and light it is (sometimes I forget it's in my bag) but I must admit I can't work too long on it, start to strain my eyes after about 2-3 hours.

The heat is never a problem though, better than other laptops I owned.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I have the new 11" (love the size) and I have noticed no heat what so ever. I'm feeling it as I'm typing this and no where is my MBA warm.

Interesting conversations about 11 vs 13. I do love the portability of the 11. I ride my bike a lot and my new MacBook rides along in my back back, adding no noticeable weight. I've also got some international travel schedule for the fall and I'm looking forward to having my 11" beauty with me!

Cyber735

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
If it's going to be your main computer then better get the 13", do you need the 8gb ram though? What's stopping you from buying the Macbook Pro/Retina instead?

I have an 11" which I chose because of it's portability, I was working full-time and doing classes at the same time. I love how small and light it is (sometimes I forget it's in my bag) but I must admit I can't work too long on it, start to strain my eyes after about 2-3 hours.

The heat is never a problem though, better than other laptops I owned.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I think you're right, I really don't need the extreme portability of the 11 inch.
I'll just be moving it around house mainly, with the occasional business trip and whatnot.

I think why most people pick the 11 inch is the size, and while I love it, I don't need it. The 13 inch is still really light and portable so it's perfect for me.

Even if the heat is slightly better on the 13 inch, that's still a huge bonus for me. I also like the fact that it's 16x10 as opposed to 16x9, as I find it's better for viewing websites. An extra 2 hours battery life is pretty nice too!

As for my choice of 8gb ram... It's mainly just to future proof it, I really need it to last me 3-4 years (at least as my portable option) I also like the idea of being able to do some light gaming while downloading torrents & video editing in the background...along with everything else opened and ready to switch to at a moments notice!

While I'd love a Macbook Pro with Retina, I can't afford it at the moment.
To be honest, the 11" with 4gb ram was my budget. However I do plan on getting a thunderbolt display at a later date.

The only slight thing that's bothering me now is the screen on the 13"

I've heard the 11" is brighter and has warmer colors, can anyone back that up/reassure me? ..don't want to have buyers remorse :(

Thanks,

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
I have noticed that the 11" Air looks slightly brighter but that maybe because of the inferior LG screen (washed out screen, my wife doesnt complain so I am cool with it), you can always install preset color calibrations to fix the washed out ness in which case the screen becomes darker. I myself love the color and contrast, keyword vibrance, I get on the Samsung Display 13" Macbook Air of mine.

Cyber735

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
I have noticed that the 11" Air looks slightly brighter but that maybe because of the inferior LG screen (washed out screen, my wife doesnt complain so I am cool with it), you can always install preset color calibrations to fix the washed out ness in which case the screen becomes darker. I myself love the color and contrast, keyword vibrance, I get on the Samsung Display 13" Macbook Air of mine.

That's it, I'm sold.. it's the 13" is for me! :)

Honestly it's one of the hardest decisions I've had to make when buying something. I've went from windows ultrabooks, to desktops, to chromebooks before deciding on a macbook air, and even then, deciding between 11" & 13" took me over a week!

First world problems, eh?

I know you can't apply a hard & fast rule to this but if it helps anyone...

The ultimate deciding factor for me was portability. If you're always on the go and need something super portable - check out the 11"
Maybe also get a thunderbolt display / mini displayport to vga/hdmi

If you still want something small & light, but with a bit more screen real estate - maybe try the 13"

rizkysyazuli

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
11" is just too small for my taste. I'd go for 13". it's still very portable but also has a large enough screen for any type of work.

previously i've used a 15" MBP. so switching to a 13" is hardly noticeable.

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
I never would have considered an 11" Air before reading this thread. There are a lot of good points for it. I had to go to the Apple store and compare them and the rMBP.

The one thing I'll say is stop looking at the physical screen size and focus on the resolution and size of what's on the screen. The 13" Air will show you the most of all three, if you live in spreadsheets that's a big deal. I found the 11" Air to be sharper than the 13" Air, so actually better for poor eyes ( but that was only a 5-10 min view). I wouldn't care about losing the SD slot, and would be sad over the shorter battery life (but probably not impacted by it) with the 11" Air. I think the 11" would be much easier to use on an airplane. If the use case were constantly traveling, but having a monitor at home I'd get the 11"; if I were a student or just going back and forth to work (mobile, but not traveling) or didn't have an external monitor I'd get the 13".

Amby985

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
11 inch!

Hola!

I am a researcher and my computers work no stop. As you I was wondering if the 11inch would have been too small... my answer is NOT. It's perfect, really.
I have been using for sometimes the VAIO model of 11.1 inch and that felt terrible. Te keyboard is smaller and my eyes were tired all the time. But with the macbok air is much different. The screen is bigger, 11.6, and that does make a difference! And the keyboard is a normal size one, which it makes it so much more comfortable to use. Moreover the screen resolution is so high that also my eyes feel perfect..

It's fast, portable, fits in everywhere and I feel like recommended with no reserves!

:) Ambra

thomas99

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
The 13 is a better full sized computer but the 11 is a great toy.

I use my 11 on the lounge and in bed and for carrying it around and stuff even around the house the 11 just feels so much smaller and nicer than my previous systems.

They're both good. If i used it at a desk id get the 13 inch. But for using 'around the house' on every surface then the 11 is great.

If you get the 11 and are going to obsess about the screen size it may be an issue but.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

5-6? holy hell youngin'
where were YOU when they were closer to 20 ;)

----------

Hola!

I am a researcher and my computers work no stop. As you I was wondering if the 11inch would have been too small... my answer is NOT. It's perfect, really.
I have been using for sometimes the VAIO model of 11.1 inch and that felt terrible. Te keyboard is smaller and my eyes were tired all the time. But with the macbok air is much different. The screen is bigger, 11.6, and that does make a difference! And the keyboard is a normal size one, which it makes it so much more comfortable to use. Moreover the screen resolution is so high that also my eyes feel perfect..

It's fast, portable, fits in everywhere and I feel like recommended with no reserves!

:) Ambra

same here - bench scientist, 11" is awesome.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Air 11 is not a toy - far from it!

thomas 99 wrote earlier today:

"The 13 is a better full sized computer but the 11 is a great toy."

I strongly disagree with you, after many hours of serious computer work on an 11,6 inches screen over several years now, and with the very noticeable difference (for me) regarding both size and weight (portability) in the 11-Air's favor.

And on a purely personal level: IMO the rectangular form of the 11 (which is of course different from the rectangular form of the 13) has a much more aesthetically appealing form to me; I have never liked the height of the 13 and similar other screens form (for instance many of the Lenovo's): They are for me far too "box-like". This is 100 per cent subjective, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.