Help me decide! (13" pro/air or 15" pro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Windgrace, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Windgrace macrumors newbie

So I am seriously unable to decide what to get!

I currently have an early 2008 Macbook that's been ready to be replaced for a year now. I mostly use the computer for things like email, Facebook, Word, School.

I am undecided about if I want to continue playing Diablo 3. Rather disappointed with the game, but I wonder if Blizzard will be able to fix the problems with the game with future patches and I don't think I'll be able to get a refund. I might play Torchlight 2 when it comes out, but other than that I do not play any other games on my computer.

Do I *have* to buy a 15" for the dedicated GPU? I am perfectly fine with running the game on low settings. The price jump between the 13" and 15" machines seems crazy for one game, especially since my priority is college. The Intel HD4000 seems pretty capable, and the people at the Apple store said it'd be fine for the game.

If I don't need it, then should I go with a 13" MBA or Pro? I do prefer the 13" screen size. I've never used a computer with an SSD. Is the basic SSD upgrade on the Pro worth it if you recommend the pro?

2. Scylax macrumors regular

I can't comment on the gaming part of your post, so apologies if this doesn't really help you, but...

I have used a 15" MBP, a 13" MBP and a 13" MBA, and from what you've said I would highly recommend the Air. For all college stuff etc. it's the perfect Mac, in my opinion. It's a great screen-size in a package you can actually put in a bag and carry around easily. And if you're looking at the new models I especially stand by that. Get 8 GB of RAM and you should rock. The SSD makes the biggest difference to speed imaginable for daily use. I never game on mine, but use it for Uni, and push it hard, and there's no way I would swap it for a heavier MBP. The processor power is way more than needed for daily use. I find 4GB of RAM limiting, and at the new prices, I would certainly max that out.

I can't comment on the gaming directly. But I would say you'd have to be a *very* committed gamer to make the 15" MBP worth the extra bulk and money, and the Air would be the best fit, but this really is my opinion, and gamers may say very differently

3. Windgrace thread starter macrumors newbie

New MBA with 8gb...definitely sounds appealing. Do I need to buy 256 gb flash storage? I'd rather get the base 15" for another $200 if that's the case.

I have heard that the Intel HD3000 in the older MBA ran D3 ok on low settings, so I think the new Intel HD4000 will be even better. Like I said, I don't even know if I want to continue playing the game anyways...

4. Scylax macrumors regular

That really depends on how you work. Personally I find 128 GB too small, but with an external drive you might be fine. 256 GB certainly gives more room to manoeuvre, but if you're not keeping lots of media etc. on it it may be more than you need. In the end your choice might depend more on whether you really want to carry around all the extra weight and size of a 15" machine. It's certainly a lot smaller than the old one, but it's still a *lot* bigger and heavier than the MBA. If you *do* choose the 15" pro, though, max out the RAM at 16 GB since it's not user-upgradable. The delight of the MacBook Air is the size and weight. In the end, if that's not important to you, or if you need more screen real-estate the pro may be better. I have to say I don't see the point of the 13" Pro for you though.

(I have never upgraded components in a computer, but it does seem from some threads around here that it should be possible to upgrade the SSD later if you need it, so that might influence your decision, I don't know)

Sorry I can't be more help!

5. Windgrace thread starter macrumors newbie

Aaaah, now I'm more indecisive. I suppose I could buy the Air and return it if it doesn't play the game well at all...It just seems like I'd be better off with the base 15" pro if I'm upgrading the Air all the way since it packs more power.

The one thing going for the 13" pro is upgradeability. I could put in more RAM or an SSD myself for cheap. The display on the air is nice, but not truly necessary.