Help me decide! 2015 or 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itskerim, Nov 6, 2016.

?

Which MacBook Pro?

1. 2015 13" MacBook Pro, i5, 2.7 GHz, 256gb, 16gb

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. 2016 13" Base Model (w/out touch bar) i5, 2.0 GHz, 256gb, 16gb

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. itskerim macrumors newbie

So I am having a dilemma of some sorts (not really, but I'd appreciate your help).

Basically, like most of you on here, I have mixed feelings on the new MacBook Pro's. I see what Apple is trying to do, but I definitely think they are going about it wrong, especially with the pricing and sudden "acceptance" of USB-C.

Being the college student that I am and having limited money, I did not have the funds to pay for the higher end touch bar models (nor did I want them) so I have limited my options to: the 2016 13" base "pro" model 256 gb, 16gb (w/out touch bar), or a refurbished 2015 13" 256 gb, 16 gb.

With these calculated, I would be spending $1629 for the 2016 pro or $1359 for the 2015 pro (270 difference). Fortunately, my dad has also agreed to give me $400 to help pay a chunk off. I know thats really not a large difference of money but

I have had the chance to play with both and I can say I like them both. I love the 2016's display and design and I love the functionality of the 2015.

I feel like USB C is going to take a while to catch on but I do think that it will become a standard eventually, which would make the 2016 model more worth while.

I do not want to go down the PC route as I have less than stellar experiences with PC's. The X13 and Razor Blade do look nice however!

I'm having a hard time deciding and could really use your help!

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

What do you intend to plug into the MacBook? If it mostly USBA things there are very simple solutions from simply replacing cords on external hard drives to tiny adapters you add on the end of USBA plugs.
    Your only hesitation is price and USBC. USB-C is very simple to adapt to. $270 is worth it for the design and display that you love.
    Get the 2016.

3. wegster macrumors 6502

What kind of student? When are you done/how long are you expecting this system to last you for?
    What exactly do you expect to be doing with it?
    Will you be plugging into external displays and storage, or only 'the laptop itself'?

4. itskerim thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a Journalism student so I do a lot of typing-the new keyboard doesn't really bother me fortunately. I would like for the laptop to last for 3 or 4 years hopefully. Outside of writing, I watch a lot of videos, music, and occasional photo editing Photoshop, and some video editing. I do occasionally plug my laptop into external displays and I feel that the 256 gb on either model should be sufficient in terms of storage.

5. wegster macrumors 6502

Tough call, down to how much you actually do extended sessions of video or photo editing, or if you're planning on spending big $ on a modern higher end display any time soon (i.e. buying a TB3 4-5K display or not). The newer model's screen is nicer, but will need a dongle for nearly anything. Either one will be close to the same for your described work, IMO - so up to you on if the screen is worth the $ difference.