Help me decide between Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nakos0621, Apr 27, 2015.

1. nakos0621 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I preorder both the 42MM Apple Watch Sport space grey and the 42MM Apple Watch with black sports band, but I can't decide which one to keep out of the two. It would be really helpful if you could post positives and negatives of the watch you currently own. Thanks!

Some concerns I have on the stainless steel version is that it will scratch very easily.

2. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Personally I liked the SS better when comparing the two (and was happy about that, since I'd already preordered the SS before the tryon). I like the solidness of it, the shine, and I like the sapphire display. As for scratches, I have none on mine yet but I believe they will be easy to buff out when they do happen (I have other SS watches). I do take some care with it when taking it off and putting it on - it is a $650 item, so I treat it like that.

For me, it was no contest.

3. simonx314 macrumors regular

I would save your money for Watch version 2 which might have stand-alone cellular and GPS, so just get the Sport for now. Also the Sport is lighter than the steel Watch.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

SS is better than aluminum... But it's your preference

5. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Depends on your needs. Determine those than go with the model that more closely matches your list ;)

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Pros for Sport

Less scratch-prone body
    Clearer display
    Better resale value

Pros for Watch

More durable display

7. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

If you can afford extra money, go with SS.

1. It looks better
    2. You can upgrade the band and dress it up later on
    3. Look at the sensors... it looks nicer at the back too
    4. Sapphire will not scratch, ion-x and the coating will
    5. Before you sell the watch when you are ready to upgrade, you can polish the SS case yourself and make it look new again
    6. Aluminum finish looks more like a "toy", no offence
    7. Ceramic coating is more durable and comfortable than composite (plastic)

8. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

I was all set on the SS Apple Watch with link bracelet until I had my try-on appt. The first watch I tried on was the Space Gray Sport and I just loved it. It looked so different to me in person than it did in the pictures...much better looking in person...I mean I really couldn't believe that I was actually considering anything other than the SS. So I was torn. And finally I was like what the heck, I decided to get the Space Gray because I thought it would be good as a 1st gen watch to see how durable it is out in the wild and the $700 savings over the SS with link bracelet doesnt hurt and again I loved the look in person. For dressier occasions and when my watch charges, I am still going to wear the nice link band mechanical watch I have and will keep it next to the charger. For the 2nd gen, I may get a more high-end apple watch. But for now, Im happy! I mean I am really happy with my choice...in fact, my mindset is that I like the SG better than the SS now.

So, I say go check out the SG in person if you haven't yet and then decide.

9. rosshm16 macrumors newbie

If you want to use it primarily as a fitness tracker, I think the AWS is better. Cheaper, same features, lighter, and looks better with the Sport bands.

If not then I'd get the AW, especially if you want a non-Sport band. The AWS looks a little tacky with most of the non-Sport bands.

10. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

True, but I did see this one which I thought looked fairly nice:

Attached Files:

11. rosshm16 macrumors newbie

That does look good :)

12. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

You just have to weigh out the pros and cons of both, everything else is really just opinions and people trying to justify their purchases.

Sport
    Pros:
    Less expensive
    Lighter
    Casual look
    Sporty
    Cons:
    No sapphire crystal
    Not very dressy
    Plastic back

SS
    Pros:
    Sapphire crystal
    Ceramic Back
    Dressy/Shiny look
    Cons:
    More expensive
    Shiny
    Case scratches

13. nakos0621, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

nakos0621 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you worked out or exercised in the SS watch yet? does it feel heavy when doing so?

14. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I know the biggest complaint (other than price) is the shiny finish on the SS will scratch.

My take is use it normally and let it scratch and build up character - knowing that the sapphire screen will be flawless for years to come unless you take a diamond and damage it intentionally.

When you are ready to part with it, let the buyer know they can polish the stainless steel quickly and make it look flawless, or you can polish it and make it like new before you sell it.

You can't do the same if you bought the Sport version.

15. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I was going to get the apple watch sport but the stainless steel looks cooler (my opinion unless you buy an apple watch band), and also the glass is stronger

16. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I think you're actually asking how much money should you pour into v1 if it's likely v2 is significantly better. And if you are going down that road, either a) don't buy one at all or b) get the cheap one.

If you have enough disposable income to comfortably afford either, then get the one you want. Remember, you have to wear and *LIKE* this thing for however long you intend to keep it.

17. mr.anthonyramos macrumors 6502

mr.anthonyramos

Better resale value? Clear display? What are you going on about? Lol.

Both sport and SS screens are equally clear and resale value would definitely be slightly better for the SS especially when you consider you can buff out scratches on the watch and the screen is made of sapphire hence would be less prone to scratches.

18. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

No opinion either way, but I did hear reports that the Sport does have more clarity in the display due to the way each is bonded. I think Consumer Reports was one entity that studied it. But what do I know?

Edit: Here is a link to one article: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/27/apple-watch-display-comparison/

19. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Yes, I have and it doesn't feel heavy.