Help me decide between mba 13 or mbp 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushy13007, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bushy13007 macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide between Macbook Air 13" and Macbook Pro 13". I use the laptop mainly for schoolwork and web browsing, but might occasionally play some games on it. I'm planning on buying a monitor and wireless keyboard and trackpad so I don't really care about the screen resolution.

The possible specs are as follows:

MBP 13"

2.3 GHz i5

4 GB RAM (to be later upgraded to 8GB)

128GB SSD (possibly 256GB)

MBA 13"

1.7 GHz i5

4GB RAM (permanent)

128 GB Flash

(I could go up to the 256GB w/ 1.8 GHz i7)

Concerns:
    The macbook air doesn't have an optical drive nor the other ports of the MBP.

More importantly, MBA only has 4gb of RAM.

Questions:
    Which one will be more "future-proof"?

And do the new computers really need 8GB RAM now, and what about in 2-3 years?

Thanks for the help.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

MBP is likely to be the more future proof, as it is at least somewhat upgradable/expandable with RAM and HD space.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You won't need 8GB now. Between the two the MBP is more "future-proof", but the difference isn't that huge. However, with your concerns, the MBP seems to make more sense for you.

4. ABadSanta macrumors regular

The Macbook Air in many ways can be considered the more "future proof" of the two. However, you can easily add an SSD to the Macbook Pro, which would actually render it an overall better choice.

It sounds like you'll want to make use of the ports and Optical Drive of the Macbook Pro- and if you don't care about scree resolution, then I say go for the Macbook Pro, and upgrade to an SSD either now or sometime down the road.

5. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

with the RAM being soldered on and inability to change the processor, you will probably be happier with a pro

6. xDC macrumors member

I would also recommend the mpb, for what you described it seems a better choice with the optical drive and the future proof upgrades are easier.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

How is the Air more future proof?

you can't change the processor in the pro either.

8. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

My opinion is that you go with the 13" MacBook Air. It's slimmer and looks better. If you want a MacBook Pro, get a 15". It's better than the 13" in terms of the display (hi-res, antiglare) and the processor (quad core). If you're looking for power, get the 15" MBP. If you want super mobility, get the 13" MBA. I'm an all or nothing guy and that's just my opinion.

On a separate note, there is no such thing as future proofing. The idea of future proofing defies all logic. If you care enough about your computer's performance that you want it to be top-notch in a few years, you will never be satisfied with the (then) piece of crap that you have. Computers, laptops especially, are advancing at such a rate that even the best technology of today is woefully outmatched by the technology of tomorrow. I bought a very high end 15" MBP last year. Guess what? The only thing it's faster than these days is a baseline 13". So much for "future proofing", right?

9. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I get offended when people say that the MBP13 is a waste of money. I bought it mainly because I wanted to have the hdd capacity that the MBA13 didn't have and its just more powerful. Its SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the MBP15 too and since I am expecting a redesign next year I will lose a lot less money when I resell it next year or in 2 years. And in that regard the MBP13 is the most futureproof macbook out of them all. The MBP13 is the better bang for buck.

If you are really going all out then you should buy either the MBP15 or an IPAD. Just think about this the MBP13 is cheaper, faster and is upgradeable. Yet it is only like a pound heavier than the MBA13.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I actually like the AG/HR 15" base. IMO, it's better than the 13" mba :)

11. davidw macrumors member

I would get the MBA. Unless you're a pro video or graphics person, there is no need for a discrete video card. No one plays video games on a laptop that small - you'd either use an iPhone, an iPad or a console system to play intense games. Therefore it's all about utility and practicality.

Until this MacBook Air came out, the choice was obvious: you had to get the MacBook Pro. The Core 2 Duo was reminiscent of processors from 2006 and had a lower clock speed than those to boot. The lack of backlit keyboard meant that you felt like you had a less than fully armed computer. The lack of an optical drive, the extraordinarily expensive SSDs and the singular USB 2.0 port made it feel like your MacBook Air was just a tertiary machine at best.

No more. In my opinion, the new MacBook Air is the best computer ever made. The i7 versions are just as powerful as the most powerful stock MacBook Pro from this past February, and they're just a fraction of the size. The screens are high res and gorgeous, the Thunderbolt port gives it massive future practicality and they're the sexiest machines to ever be produced.

Go with the MBP. You won't have any regrets and you'll have lots of jealous admirers to boot.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

tough decision.

for me, the mbp 13 was the best choice. i have a thread about getting things done in the ipad forums that explains why i don't need the portability of an mba. the mbas are great, but priced so that you pay a premium for portability, while sacrificing upgradability (i got 8gb ram to present-proof my computer), memory, etc. i could have also gotten the mbp 15, but i frankly don't need that much power or want to spend that much money at this point.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If youre going to install a SSD in the MBP, there is really no reason to go for an Air. Also, since you're going to use this as your primary machine, it makes more sense to get the MBP and upgrade it down the road.

14. DitchDoc83 macrumors newbie

DitchDoc83

I recently got a MBP 13' for an early birthday gift. I love it.

My wife asked me to pick between the two also. After making a very exciting vist to the local Apple Store, I decided to go with the MBP.

I'm a paramedic and am out in the field a lot, not to mention that I'm a big guy, 6'4" 275lbs. I took that into consideration, when I made my decision. When I went to type on the keyboard of the MBA, I felt like I was going to punch through the body of the computer. I also did not like the fact that the MBA did not have an optical drive.

It just comes down to what feels right for you.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Most future proof of them all? You do know what that term means right? With an integrated graphics card which is on par with 500$ Windows notebooks, it is definitely not future proof. 15 inch MBP would be closed with an actual, discreet card.

Of course, this is going to vary between users but if you don't need a discreete graphics card, then ANY MB will serve its purpose.