Help me decide between old MacBook Pro and MacBook for Christmas present

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SoundOfWinter, Nov 21, 2011.

1. SoundOfWinter macrumors newbie

I am currently looking at buying my wife a nice used Macbook or Macbook Pro for Christmas. I am currently looking at a very nice 2006 Macbook Pro, 2 GHz CoreDuo, 2 gig of RAM, 80 gig HDD. This Macbook Pro looks almost brand new and comes with the box, all original packaging and install discs. Even has the foam insert that Apple ships between the keyboard and screen. Also comes with an external portable 120 gig western digital HDD in the original box (it may be brand new) and two nice cases for the computer and a case to carry cables in. I can get this computer for about 475, maybe 450.

The Macbook is a 2008 2.1 GHz Core2Duo with 1 gig of RAM and 120 gig HD. The seller of the Macbook says the bottom of the LCD screen has some very minor pixel washout, which from what I've read is common with these older Macbook(?). Anyway, it is in very good shape and also comes with the original box and all the original packaging (even the Apple stickers are there) and an incase computer case. I think I can get the Macbook for around 400 or maybe a little less. My question ultimately is, which should I get? Thanks everyone!

P.S. May want to add that my wifes computer usage normally amounts to basic web surfing, watching videos, and doing some word processing and school work.

2. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

neither i wouldn't buy a mb from 4 years ago that has problems with the screen also i wouldn't buy a 6 year old mbp because a) it is just way too old

if you are budgeted to that i would strongly suggest a windows because you can get something newer and more powerful for much less and way congrats on your new purchase

if she already has a computer have you considered an iPad also r u sure the one for 06 is dual core or core duo be careful because core duo is single core but iPad would nbe a great purchase for web browsing and multimedia and then you get a warranty and stuff

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd get the Macbook Pro for $250, $300 max, assuming everything works perfectly.

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I agree with what a poster above said, buy her an iPad.

That amount of money for and old laptop isn't very attractive.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

An iPad doesn't work for a lot of people looking to do productive tasks on it.

Tough options. The MBP seems a bit too old not even being a C2D and the MB already has a defection. I would say keep shopping around to find something in better condition because I'd ask for -$100 off both of those, maybe even more of a decrease on the MBP.

6. SoundOfWinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up not buying either of the aforementioned computers. I instead picked up a nice 2 ghz C2D MacBook on eBay that had been upgraded with a 320 gig hdd and 4 gig of RAM in the original box with accessories and OS discs and two cases for $430. Not too bad I think. Hopefully the mrs will like it.

7. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Awesome, I hope she enjoys it, sounds like you got it for around the right price.

I think you've got the duo's confused with the core solo's, The core duo's have 2 cores, but they are only 32-bit processors so they can't run lion.

8. SoundOfWinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks! I thought the price was good considering the upgrades and original packaging. It should be a nice companion to my Mac pro. :)

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Performance wise that model should do most things. Do you know the year? I think as of about 2009 the MB had a much better screen and the glass trackpad. Those two things can really help with the user experience. I had a 2009 MB and upgraded the RAM to 4Gb and it was really nice.